Mistake?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake?!

Hey All! Trey here. New to this forum, not new to taking a welder and angle grinder to bike frames.

I just traded a Roland Synth for this gal. It needs a lot more love than I originally anticipated. Engine turns over, someone just beat it with an ugly stick and some rattle can paint. No title, but I’m going to try the Vermont loophole.

Think I made a decent trade for a $400 synth?

Hi Trey, Welcome. Looks like you've got most of the bike. I would think you'll find the real value after you take it for the first cruise......

-----Bax
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Welcome! Looks like you have a ,79SF, a one year only bike for some parts.. Before you start cutting and welding, get the bike to run and take it out. You may change your mind about any radical designs, and keep it close to stock. These bikes pull like freight trains, from 25mph to redline in top gear!
      Post any needs here for parts, as some of us have a few spares, and others know who is selling good parts, and who is selling junk.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! I am going to try to get it titled before I invest too much money in it. I hear they pull hard. I can’t wait for it to move under its own power!

Comment

Originally posted by Tre.ventures View Post
          I hear they pull hard. I can’t wait for it to move under its own power!
          These bikes are under rated. That's why you get them cheap. It should outperform a Z1 or GS1000 if you fix it properly and for a lot less money than either of them.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I hesitated to comment when you first posted, but I have to say it....

It can only be a mistake if you are unhappy. Many folks worry if they overpaid for a bike. It doesn't matter even if you did....because if the bike makes me happy, it cannot be a mistake.

Since you have experience, you know what you are in for to get that bike running. We will enjoy watching your journey. Welcome!

-Mike

-Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

If you are buying these bikes for any other reason then the love of the restoration and the enjoyment and feeling of pride when you are done then you have bought the wrong machine. These bikes are bullet proof and under appreciated. Of course I am biased in my opinion. I purchased my 80LG brand new when I was 23 years old.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X