Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Just Switched off while Riding

1979 XS1100 SF

Yesterday the turn signals and stop light quit working (good fuses), Now I Have A New Problem, The bike was running great cruising down a back road at 50 mph, and the engine just shut off, it was exactly like I hit the kill switch on the bar..nothing!
    I knew the run/stop switch was worn.. it was loose and would only turn one way. I took the run/stop switch out of the controls from a 79 XS650, which was the same thing and stuck it in the xs1100 controls, unplugged the wire cleaned it and plugged it back up and still nothing. I just can't figure it out..HELP!!

DEAN
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their
    shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away
    and you have their shoes.

Dean,

Unplug the tipover switch, it's under the tank. See if that helps.

Comment

Dean, here's a thought for you.

I had the exact same experience on my xj a number of years ago. On a cross country trip, in another country, in the middle of nowhere, crusin along at 55 mph and the bike up and dies on me. The cause was a poor ground connection between the side stand switch and the frame.

Over time dirt managed to get between the frame and the switch and if I remember the switch screws were a little loose.

I unscrewed the switch, cleaned off the frame and switch, lightly sanded both to ensure a good connection and I was off in no time.
      "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
      84xj1100
      82xj1100

Comment

Hi Randy, I unplugged the tip over switch, that didn't help. And to the other guy, I checked and this thing doesn't have a kickstand switch.
        I did try doing the crossover thing on the solenoid with a screw driver and it fired right up, but as soon as I remove the screw driver it would die. I don't know, but I'm beginning to believe the whole right bar control is bad, maybe there's broken wire some where.

Thanks for your help guys

Dean

Comment

Dean, next thing to check is your ballast resistor.

Comment

Come again?..What's that look like and where's it located?

Dean

Comment

Again, it's under the tank, on the left side just above the valve cover with one screw holding it to the frame.

It's got two red/white wires coming out of it. Unplug it and measure accross the leads. You should get 1.5 Ohms. If it's open, it's bad.

When this goes bad, no power to ignition coils EXCEPT when starter solenoid is energized. The solenoid has a ballast bypass lead, (the green one) that feeds direct 12v to the coils for startup.

If you're in a pinch, you can use an automotive ballast resistor available at most auto parts stores.

Comment

I have lots of spare ballast resisters and one good handlebar starter switch assembly in case you need one. e-mail to andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

How much you got to have for your switch? and a good ballast resister?

THANKS
                  DEAN

Comment

I had the same symptoms one time, fuses checked good, but wouldnt start running till I put in new fuses.
                    Also, and may sound tedious, but might wanna check solder connections inside the on/off switch on the throttle housing.
                    good luck,
                    Don 79 sf

Comment

Thanks Don, I'll Try it
                      Dean

Last edited by Dean; 10-20-2005, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Had the same problem with my 81H and found what Viking said, fuses looked good, was decieving, and also tightly rolled up a piece of emory cloth and cleaned the fuse holders.........did the trick!
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ignition switch. Just a thought

May or may not be your prob, but is worth mentioning. Have seen it on several other bikes, and am currently experiencing it on mine. Gummed or corroded contacts on the round coppery disk in the ignition switch.
                          Turn the key, neutral light comes on, start the bike. Bike dies 'cause it's cold, but I've also lost the neutral light and all side lights. Tap the key, and everything comes back on. It's not the wiring harness plug, but the contacts inside the switch. Clean mit der sandpaper and spread a little dielectric grease.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Besides the good comments about contacts (don't forget the main keyed one), a marginal battery can give up during riding. I had it happen to me twice with gel batteries. There was just enough to start the bikes, but quit at lower rpm running: One while going around a slow corner, and one at a stop light. The black box needs something like 10.2 volts to keep spark going.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Same thing happened to me on my xj650. The PO had rewired the fuse box, but just wire rapped the connections. So don't just check the fuseholder connection but also the wire to fuseholder connection.
                              It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
                              81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
                              82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
                              82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Working...
                              X