1980 XS 1100 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS 1100 Special

Hi to All: I am a newbie from Hailey Idaho. I have owned my bike for about 12 years. I have never had any trouble. I currently had a loss of power while going about 60mph and both times after a short time, came back to normal. No problems for weeks until the other day I couldn't get it to start. I metered the TCI and it seemed OK and the coils resistance seemed fine. A friend of mine said it could be the rectifier -- any thoughts on that? I have thought about the pickup coils and have read your ideas on checking them, but I guess I need more help. Air filter fine, octopus-petcocks and ga flo check out okay. I don't see any spark while grounding any plug on the motor. Coils-pickup coils-rectifier? What is your guess? I have thought about the fuse box but the engine turns over fine, fuses check out but no fire! The bike only has 23,000 miles on it. I could use some help. Battery is charged but older. I can't think of any thing else to add.
    Thanks I am getting frustrated. I recently purchased some used parts, coils, pickups and a rectifier, and a TCI off the internet, I haven't recieved them yet. But it shouldn't hurt to have some extra parts. Thanks for any help Bruce:

Re: 1980 XS 1100 Special

Bruce (32bat) wrote:
    I currently had a loss of power while going about 60mph and both times after a short time, came back to normal. No problems for weeks until the other day I couldn't get it to start. I metered the TCI and it seemed OK and the coils resistance seemed fine. A friend of mine said it could be the rectifier -- any thoughts on that? I have thought about the pickup coils and have read your ideas on checking them, but I guess I need more help.
    The pickup coils are the most likely culprits. They're one of those things that should be checked even if they're not yet causing trouble. You should be able to find all the help you need in the following tech tips:
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

? Curious : .....he says, he's not getting fire, to any of the 4 plugs. Would both pick-up coils, and/or their connectors be likely to fail at the same time?
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Hi Bruce

Check out this tech tip for some more ideas about why no spark.

Have you checked the ballast resistor? On the coil side of the ballast resistor, you should see 12V at the coils (red/white wire vs ground).

A bad rectifier/regulator would not keep the bike from getting spark, it's not in the firing circuit (though it sure would keep the battery from charging).
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

1980 XS 1100

Thank you for the quick and knowing help. I have to restate that I may not have tested for spark with all the plugs. I just got done taking out the pick up coils, and harness=== and sure enough one of the light blue wires , the plastic would stretch like was stated and there is at least one break. I am going to solder it and put it back on and see if I can get it working. Thank you all for your help, this group of people, all I can say it is amazing! I will be back to tell you how I am doing

Comment

Thanks to Bill, Mike and Old Norton Rider!

Bruce

Comment

Re: 1980 XS 1100

Originally posted by 32bat
              Thank you for the quick and knowing help.
              Thank you all for your help, this group of people, all I can say it is amazing! I will be back to tell you how I am doing
              .......... ".....quick and knowing.........it is amazing!...."

Yes! I agree; the "engineer's" that put this forum/site, together; get 4 stars, IMO .

I wuz worried, that you were, maybe, gonna pull the engine, before you had the problem, narrowed down.
              JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Re: 1980 XS 1100

Bruce (32bat) wrote:
                sure enough one of the light blue wires , the plastic would stretch like was stated and there is at least one break. I am going to solder it and put it back on and see if I can get it working.
                Be sure to do both of them while you're at it. If one's already busted then the other will probably go very soon. JAT

Bill K.
                1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Ok you experts, it is me again, Bruce.
                  I can't get the bike to fire.

I don't have any spark at all.
                  I have been through all the connections.

Could I have pulled to hard on the wire coming out off the pickup coils and damaged it there?

Any thoughts.
                  The ballast resistor tested fine.

I am at a standstill.

Maybe I should recheck through the pickup coils wires again, is there a way to test it with a meter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

No Expert, but idea!?

Originally posted by 32bat
                    Ok you experts, it is me again, Bruce.
                    I can't get the bike to fire. I don't have any spark at all.
                    SNIPPED
                    Maybe I should recheck through the pickup coils wires again, is there a way to test it with a meter?
                    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                    Hey there 32Bat,
                    According to my color coded wiring diagram for 80Special, the Pickup coils go into a connector, then a second wire set, then to another connector before plugging into the ignition black box. You should be able to take an ohmmeter to use as a continuity tester, find the first connector up from the pickup coils, and match the colored wires with the ones at the pickup coils, and test where the wire attaches to the coils and at the connector, if infinite resistance or whatever you meter reads for no conductivity, then the wires are broken!!!

I'm talking about only from where the wires attach back to the connector, NOT thru the pickup coils. But you can test them as well, the book doesn't show them very well, can't see where the second wire connects but the wiring diagram shows them all going back to the ignition unit, not to ground!! Resistance thru the pickup coils =720 ohms +or- 20% at 68degrees per manual.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would like to thank all that helped me, on my problem. First of all after having the bike for over 10 years and only doing the basic maintenance, I found out how litttle I knew about it. My little problem forced me to learn more about my bike and I now have it going. After reading one persons (whom I found in the tech tips) technique who methodically wrote down everything he had done, I did that. I have been through the wiring, and a bunch of other stuff over and over. So tonight after work, I pulled up a chair sat back and while looking at the bike started writing down everything I had done, I then started over and I suddenly realized what I had done. When I checked the emergency shutoff switch, I had taken it out, taken it apart and so on. Put it back together and because the wires come out on one side I put them on the side of the clip connector. I remembered what I thought at the time, did I put in on upside down and while looking at the connection it seemed ok. So after all the extra stuff I did, tonight I took it off and apart and yes it was upside down. So obviously it wasn't ever going to start. I hate to admit to this but I am --- so maybe someone else working on their bike, makes sure they double check everything, even what seems to be the most menial thing. So at least I learned alot, fixed my bike and now I appreciate it even more. This site is a wonderful source for me and I see many, many others. Maybe someday I can even meet some of you! Thanks again Bruce Tuxhorn.

Comment

heh, heh .
                        JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Working...
                        X