Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Bike First 200 miles first impressions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be easier for me just to machine my own out of aluminum lol. I'll probably upgrade to a big bore MC and drop in some progressive springs, and run 15W and 1atm in the forks.

I say 1atm as in no more additional air added to the forks.

As far as the rear brake goes, I think another big bore rear MC would be expensive and overkill. Considering I alresdy put in 4x what I paid for the bike into it already.

Comment

A big bore MC will lose "feel". I know, BTDT. With stainless lines just slightly smaller gives you more control.
      See if you can find TKat online. He was the one building the braces with a CNC. He may have the programs if he still is using his email. I know he sold the shop and is now mostly in his motorhome, probably still riding. email tkat@tkat.com
      Last edited by DiverRay; 10-14-2020, 11:14 AM.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So a review a year later.

I rebuit the octy, and used tygon hoses, kink free, heat resistant and very flexible. I rejetted to size 115 mains, and set the float height to 23mm. I finally got it to where after a brief warm up, she idles great and has no hesitation off the line.

Still having wobble issues, I bought progressive springs and used a 4" spacer with 15wt oil. The front end feels so much better, I don't know how to explain it, but it's easier to corner hard at slow speeds. Like dragging knee cornering. I noticed that after I got new springs, the braking felt so much more precise, and only dives upon very hard stops. Rear brake still feels like I need to push down hard.

My high speed wobble just felt more precise and worse. Turns out when I had the tire mounted, they did such a **** job at balancing that the front wheel needed 3.0oz of weight. I got it rebalanced and I can bury the speedo comfortably now.

I painted the entire bike as well, using black cherry metallic flake paint. Upgraded to all LED lights and a new seat front texavina.

I can say now, the bike has the power and torque I craved. It does rev awfully high at highway speeds, I am using a 16" wheel from a XJ. I actually enjoy it like that, as I don't have to downshift for passes.

The only other upgrades I can think of at this point are stiffer/modern rear shocks and the dynatek 3.0ohm coils.

I'm proud to now say that this bike is my daily driver!

Comment

That Texavana seat, how is it on comfort? You do any 2 up and have any passenger review?
          1979 XS1100 Special
          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
            That Texavana seat, how is it on comfort? You do any 2 up and have any passenger review?
            Firmer than stock, more comfortable for me personally. Girlfriend says she had to hold on for dear life as the rear pillion is just a bump. It did take 5 weeks to ship but it fit. It will not fit with the stock tailight.

Comment

Working...
            X