headlight bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight bulb

What are you using as headlight bulbs now? I want to put a new one in my windjammer and want bright light!
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

I'm using an LED from superbright. I did have to modify the WJ5 housing a bit because of the connector size. I also disabled the "headlight out" system, as well as the tail light from the oil pressure lamp because I've got LED in everything. This is on my '79SF.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      as well as the tail light from the oil pressure lamp because I've got LED in everything. This is on my '79SF.

Could you elaborate on this a little please. Does this also apply to an "F"? I have LED tailights but incandescent instrument lights and I haven't noticed any problem. Am I missing something?
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

The SF uses one bulb for both turn signals, and one bulb for both oil pressure and burned tail light. I had to do some cutting of the wire harness to keep the oil pressure light from being on all the time. The Standards do NOT have these problems. You will have to dis-able the auto headlight if you put an LED in the bike, though. The draw in Amps is too low with the LED, and the bike thinks the headlight is burned out.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          The SF uses one bulb for both turn signals, and one bulb for both oil pressure and burned tail light. I had to do some cutting of the wire harness to keep the oil pressure light from being on all the time. The Standards do NOT have these problems. You will have to dis-able the auto headlight if you put an LED in the bike, though. The draw in Amps is too low with the LED, and the bike thinks the headlight is burned out.
          The XS1100SF is the only one with the combined oil pressure / tail light indicator. XS1100SG and SH have no taillight fail indicator due to two lamps in the assembly. XS650 and XS750 '78 & '79 are the same as the XS1100SF. Just in case you wanted to know.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Yeah, I know. I've got a "one year only" bike. I had to mod the '80 seat to fit the '79 as well...
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
            X