Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screeching noise when cold starting

Hello everyone!
    Want to give a belated thank you to all who replied to my 'dirty oil sight glass' issue. I just added some fresh oil and it got clear again...

Anyways, I'm experiencing a momentary screeching noise that comes from the lower left side of the engine when I go to 'cold' start it. It still fires right up and doesn't make the noise when the engine is restarted after warming up.
    Any ideas?

As usual, all advice is totally appreciated!

Thx,

SJ

Starter issues?
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: Screeching noise when cold starting

There are two kinds of noises that I have heard when starting colld. One is a whirl-clackity-clack. And one is a partial crank followed by a honking-like a goose noise. Most of those starting problems occurred in all 3 of my bike when I either used too heavy of a multigrade oil, or when using pure synthetic. The noises will eventually go away when your oil thins with wear, or when summer returns (if your bike is like mine). =:-) Then again, those were not "screetching noises."

Originally posted by seriousjimmy
      Hello everyone!
      Want to give a belated thank you to all who replied to my 'dirty oil sight glass' issue. I just added some fresh oil and it got clear again...

Anyways, I'm experiencing a momentary screeching noise that comes from the lower left side of the engine when I go to 'cold' start it. It still fires right up and doesn't make the noise when the engine is restarted after warming up.
      Any ideas?

As usual, all advice is totally appreciated!

Thx,

SJ
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

What type and weight of oil did you put in the bike? Are you starting it on the sidestand, or centerstand? Th last question, how long does it make the noise, one second, or 30 seconds?
        the answer should be found once these are answerded.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gentlemen!

Yes, it's more of a 'goose honking' sound. Only happens as the motor is cranking, is only momentary as she always starts up within 2 cranks or so...

The previuos owner [small independent cycle shop] did an oil/filter/lube/tune up before I rode it away and put Motul 20W50 in.

Seems like I use the centerstand more than kickstand, but the noise happens from both positions.
          Again, there's no 'honking' once the engine has been started once or is warmed up.

SJ

Comment

Don't worry about it, it won't hurt a thing. When you start it with people around, just blame the noise on the nearest person! if you have 50W in it, expect the other noise also as temperatures drop.

Originally posted by seriousjimmy
            Gentlemen!

Yes, it's more of a 'goose honking' sound. away and put Motul 20W50 in.
            SJ
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I lied about the oil...
              Is Motul 3000 10W40...

Noises aside, she just runs so well that I'm not going to be too worried...

thanks all.

SJ

Comment

Mine makes the same noise when it's cold. I believe it's the starter clutch.

Comment

i've got an 84 venture that made that same noise. i figured out that the starter button was sticking "in". i sprayed the button real good with wd-40 so it goes in and out freely. took care of the noise.

Comment

Working...
                  X