Another (hopefully last) carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another (hopefully last) carb question

I searched, but didn't find the answer. I installed the 140 mains today for the 4 into 1 exhaust, and the pod filters. I have not reset the needle in the slide. Do I need to? That is my question. I am waiting for my paintshop guys to get my tank and plastic done. I will post pics of it when they are through and I get it back together.

I have a 4 tube mercury filled sync tool that I borrowed. What is a good number to shoot for when syncing the carbs? Also, with my pilot jets being 42.5 instead of 45, how do I compensate for that? Thanks in advance,
    J

79 xs1100 standard. (F?)

carb synch

Numbers are meaningless. Different bikes and setups will have different numbers. (The numbers on my mercury sticks are different than the numbers on the digital one at work.)
    You just use the numbers to ensure that all carbs read the same. (Synchronized) Numbers are affected by such things as idle speed, atmospheric pressure, and tend to get blurry if you've been drinking, etc.
    Numbers can be made to go up or down as you open or close each throttle plate. Synch #1 to #2, then #4 to #3, then the left bank to the right bank till all read about the same.
    Also, with my pilot jets being 42.5 instead of 45, how do I compensate for that?
    No compensation neccesary, actually doesn't matter. Synching measures the vacuum caused by the amount of airflow through the carbs, which is based upon the position of the throttle plates, which you are attempting to adjust and make even.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Gotcha thanks for the help.

Comment

Just for the record: There is no such thing as a final carb question. *grin*
        1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

They never end!! Carb issues are like bad pennies...
          Don
          99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Working...
          X