valve clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve clearance

I have a number of questions regarding valve clearances.

Question #1 What is the proper clearance measurement for the exhaust valves on an '80 SG. My Clymer manual gives intake valve clearance for the '80 but not for the exhaust.

#2 Does anybody know of a good source for the valve adjusting tool (Yamaha # 90890-01245). My Clymer manual recomends it for adjusting valve clearance and I am not sure of a good way to do it without it. My local dealer has told me that they cannot find a source for that tool. Is there a good substitute for the tool?

#3What is the danger in having too little valve clearance. I have a lot of engine noise and was expecting to find that I had too much clearance. But when I checked my valve clearances today, I was suprised to find that the measurements were low and very low on 7 of my 8 valves. One of my intake valves has only 0.064 mm (.0025 in) of clearance when it is supposed to have at least 0.011 mm. I know that adjusting your clearance to the low end of the recomended range gives the best performance and the least engine noise, but what happens if I have less than the recommended clearance?

OK where do I start?

First. too little valve clearance is what normally happens, as the valves wear they seat deeper in the head which gives you a smaller clearance on top. Normal does not mean OK however, because too little valve clearance will cause the valves to stay open and burn up. YOU NEED TO ADJUST YOUR VALVES NOW!!

Second the vavle tool is available from Motion Pro, Your dealer is an idiot if they do not know this. MP makes valve tools for every type of bike, umm.. ask him what his mechanics use?? The only problem is the tool needs a longer tit on it, and sometimes will not work, MP has been told and really does not care. Check Dennis Kirk if you can't find it elsewhere. I just looked and did not see it online. Anybody got their valve tool handy and can give Mr Jake the number? The reason they only list the intake is because it is the only one that changed, (to reduce noise) it is listed at .11 mm to .15 mm (.004 to .006 inch), the exhaust is still .21 to .25 mm (.008 to .010 inch)

Third upper end noise could be a timing chain adjustment as well, have you checked this?

Good Luck with the adjustment!

Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Valve shim tables

We are working on a tech tip for the forum which will include the shim thickness tables. In the meantime, you could reference the pdf format tables at
      http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/valves.HTML
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Valve Tool

I used a tool from JC Whitney. It seems to work Ok. It could be a little longer. I have changed out 4 Pads.

Link to Tool

Rick Wood
        XJ1100 (Construction Complete)(SOLD)
        Northern Michigan

Comment

Thanx for the info

"Second the valve tool is available from Motion Pro, Your dealer is an idiot if they do not know this. "

They are idiots. I don't think they have ever successfully ordered anything for me. And they have no knowledge or parts when it comes to an XS11. I would be sunk if I didn't have you guys to help me out. Thanks a lot for the info. I guess I will keep it parked until I can get those shims changed out. And know that I know where to buy the tool- it shouldn't be that long.

Thanx,
          Jake

Comment

valve adjusting tool

motion-pro's tool # is 08-020 you can order the same tool from jcwhitney for 13.99 cataloguue #06zx2489xc.
            be careful using tool-need to maintain clearance between curved part of tool and cam llobe-i keep checking with .004 feeler gauge as a slowly rotate-cracked head is way beyond my budget.

Comment

The motion pro tool is the one I bought, and it didn't work worth a crap on my '78 in it's stock form. As Gary mentioned, the tit on the bottom is not long enough, The welder at work didn't think he could weld an extension on it so he suggested tackling it from a different angle. I ground down the part of the tool that sits on the valve cover mating surface, allowing the tool to sit lower on the head. Also had to elongate one of the bolt holes to line up on one valve, think it was #3 exhaust but not sure now. Pics available on request.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

tool

the tool works fine if you make certain it stays aligned with the center line of the valve follower as you tighten down lock bolt-otherwise you will stress out using it.

Comment

tool alignment

XJGUY was right.

I am 95% done with the job now. I have to go back and re-replace two of the shims. ( the clearances were STILL out of spec. after changing out the shims)

I did have problems with the Motion Pro tool a couple of times but everytime I found that it had turned a little bit. If I reset the tool (making sure that it was aligned straight with the cam) it would work just fine. I might still grind it down a little bit (to get additional working room) but it seemed to do the job pretty well.

Thanks again for the help,

Jake

Comment

Working...
                  X