What just happened??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What just happened??

So...I was riding to work yesterday when I got off of the freeway and was downshifting to stop at a red light. Light turned green...let out the clutch...bike isn't moving and there is a sound like gear teeth are not quite meshing. Any experience with this?
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Re: What just happened??

False neutral between 2nd and 3rd gears? Doesn't seem like a freyed cable sticking because of the noise you describe.

Originally posted by SanDiegoMike
    bike isn't moving and there is a sound like gear teeth are not quite meshing. Any experience with this?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

just got off the phone with Bob @ Merriam Cycles. He seems to think that its a problem with the 2nd gear spacing. How difficult are these trannies to rebuild, and most importantly...what is a good parts source?
      '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

Depends on your tools and resources. Have you worked on many bikes and trannies before? I've did about 5 mods all using Bob Jones method. It's bullet proof if you do it right.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

update to noises that shouldn't be there

okay...I'll try not to be long winded with this.

With the bike on the center stand and not running, I can shift into ANY gear, turn the rear wheel by hand, and get the same noise/problem. Does this mean that the problem isn't the trannie? Maybe the middle gear assembly? I removed the rear wheel, and there doesn't appear to be a problem where the splines for the rear wheel/final drive assembly mesh together. Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.
          '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

Have a look inside the shifter cover. I'm wondering if something came loose in the shift pawl assembly so the transmission is not actually shifting when you press down or pull up on the shift lever. With the cover off, you can move the shift cam by hand and try moving the rear wheel again.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Another option

Are you sure the sound is coming from the transmission area? I ask that because the gearing in the trans and middle drive is fairly stout, and not prone to breakage. How often do you change the middle drive gear oil? Have you checked the drive shaft to final drive splines? They can accumulate a lot of wear. Do you lube these splines at least once a year? I haven't had any problem with mine, but earlier this year I sold a drive shaft to a member. His had worn the splines down so far that they wouldn't mesh with the final drive. They would just spin, and clatter. There are splines at the U joint yoke also. One way to check is to place the bike up on the center stand, and shift the trans into any gear. Then go to the rubber boot covering the U joint, disconnect the long, slender spring that holds the boot in place, and peel it back from the top of the middle drive. Now, if you still have a hand available, or a helpful SWMBO, slowly turn the rear wheel, and see if the U joint turns. Hopefully, the U joint didn't fail. You can use a large screwdriver as a stethescope, and place the tip against the driveshaft tube at the mounting flange for the final drive, with your ear on the end of the handle, and listen for noise. You can listen to the middle drive this way also.

Comment

Working...
              X