U-joint driveshaft boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-joint driveshaft boot

I didn't see this in 'repairs' or FAQ's section. Still available from Yamaha? How tough to replace? How many 'while-yer-at-it' things will pop up when I do it?
    New to XS11's, looking for your collective wisdom. Thanks!

I can't verify this BUT I heard the original boot is no longer available from Yamaha. And I also heard the boot from a Virago will work. Nobody has ever verified this but it was posted long ago on the XS list.

If you know somebody with a Virago, take a look at it and see if it is similar.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Re: U-joint driveshaft boot

Originally posted by Jaybird
      I didn't see this in 'repairs' or FAQ's section. Still available from Yamaha? How tough to replace? How many 'while-yer-at-it' things will pop up when I do it?
      New to XS11's, looking for your collective wisdom. Thanks!
      Well, a little over a year ago I was able to get a new one from Yamaha, around $35.00. That did NOT include new spring clamps. But a lot can happen in 1 year with YAMAHA. Is yours totally destroyed, some folks have repaired theirs with inner tube patches, or similar fixes.

You have to remove the 4 bolts that link the U-joint to the drive shaft, a little fun to wedge a piece of wood into the back wheel to keep it from turning so you can torque the bolts, manual also states using new ones when putting back together, many have used the old ones with no problems. It's a tight fit between the shaft and U-joint. This is only a DUST type seal, no fluid in there, so if you can patch it, should work as well. Good Luck.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I got one last year from Yamaha(I live in northern Ontario),I 'm sure xs750-850 boot same....Will

Comment

Mine is only bad along one edge, I'll try and patch it up. I guess it's not like auto CV joint boots when they fail and the explosion of sticky grease that follows. Regular bicycle tube patches OK? or is there a nifty XSive trick for patching?

Comment

Working...
          X