No announcement yet.

Better headlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 650 actually had no trouble with a 100w highbeam despite what I had been told by the "experts". Neither does my friend's '65 Bonneville and he's running a battery eliminator, it does dim a lot at idle though. It seems now that the "experts" have proven wrong about the XS1100 as well. Think I'll go ahead and install a 55/100 in mine with some LED turn sig and tailight bulbs from Mikes XS just for insurance.
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

If you install LED turnsignals they won't draw enough power to make the flasher work. You can install a resister to ground but then you might as well use regular bulbs.

I think the reason old bikes get the reputation for not being able to power a 100w bulb is because many old bikes have electrical problems from corroded terminals.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks!
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Hey Mike,

Just install an electronic turn signal flasher, and the LED's will work just fine!! That's all I did to get mine to work! Of course, it's an aftermarket, so I lost my self cancelling feature, but my old flasher was burned up anyways, so no big deal for me!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Where did you get the electronic flasher? This is the first I've heard of them.

Geezer

Comment

At my local auto store, about $9.00 ea, had to get 2, one for my turn signals circuit, and 1 for my emergency flasher circuit!

I can get a picture of it and post if you need!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

I'll ask for one the next time I go to NAPA or one of the other local parts stores.

I'd like to try one on the Mongrel. I've tried a couple different auto flashers and they all seem slow... Not right for a bike that charges that well...

Geezer

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                At my local auto store, about $9.00 ea, had to get 2, one for my turn signals circuit, and 1 for my emergency flasher circuit!

I can get a picture of it and post if you need!?
                T.C.

Comment

Gee my bike had an auto flasher in it when I got it but I kind of like the embarrassment proof self-cancel so I installed an extra Yammie 650 flasher I had around, three prong but long and rectangular. Works fine but flashes really quickly.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Hmmm I wonder if that is the type in the Beast? (78E) It is rectangular, I noticed.

Originally posted by xs650mike
                    so I installed an extra Yammie 650 flasher I had around, three prong but long and rectangular. Works fine but flashes really quickly.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Geezer,

I tried searching NAPAONLINE, they require model and year specific info, couldn't search UNIVERSAL parts!

Found this one on Advance site, Tridon Electronic Flasher, $7.97 or so!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                      X