Better headlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better headlight?

New to this site. Thanks ahead for all help.. Have 2 79 SF specials. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason (issues) you cannot switch the stock h4 55/60 watt 12volt bulb with a 80/100 h4 blue halogen. Thanks Jamie

Welcome to the XS zoo! Couple things on the headlight swap. Blue halogens are annoying to see coming at you, and don't really provide more light. More importantly, the stock wiring is a little light for the larger wattage. If you really want to get more light, upgrade with a new larger grade wire set from the battery, wired through a relay off the stock headlight wire.
    Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Thanks, Didn't think of that. Just looking to put more light forward. Dont really want to manufacture a light bar and put EXpensive aux lights on. trying to spend all the $ on fuel...

Comment

Re: Better headlight?

I installed a Sylvania Silverstar H4 and it has the same power usage (what, 55/60W?) but is is much brighter than the higher watt bulb from JCWhitney. Their bulb came on like the coils in the toaster!

Originally posted by jax-11s
        New to this site. Thanks ahead for all help.. Have 2 79 SF specials. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason (issues) you cannot switch the stock h4 55/60 watt 12volt bulb with a 80/100 h4 blue halogen. Thanks Jamie
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'm using a 80/85 watt in my 81H Venturer, which is a Wagner from Napa and don't have any problems. Thought of going with a 120 watt but didn't wanna creat any unwanted electrical problems and the 85 watt reaches out there good if you get caught after dark. It is also the the rectangle version which broadens the beam too.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I've also got the sylvania on my '79. It's a standard, but the Vetter fairing has the 7" round lamp. I found it puts out a GREAT deal of light. On high beam, I can see farther than I could with a higher wattage standard bulb!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I also have the Sylvania Silverstar H4 and an inconciderate 'cager' pulled in front of me last night on my way home and I hit him with my high beam - I "fried" his eyes ...and 'was pleasantly surprised how BRIGHT it was...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Amen to that! I'm running a sylvania silverstar H-4. Great lighting on the road in low beam and high beam lights up the night sky.
                Low beam hits ground at about 6 car lengths?
                High beam lights up 1/4 mile?
                (not a very technical comparison)
                Great lights.
                80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast
                  Blue halogens are annoying to see coming at you, and don't really provide more light. More importantly, the stock wiring is a little light for the larger wattage.
                  Agree about the blue headlamps, they annoy the hell out of me but I don't really care if I annoy cagers, at least they'll notice me! I ran a 55/100w from Whitney on my 650 without problems but the low beam burned out within a couple of weeks even though I always run with my highbeam on in daylight and only rode about an hour at night. Could've been vibration, those XS650s are real shakers, just like an old Brit bike. I bought a Sylvania 55/60w at the auto parts store and it was definitely brighter than the 55/100w from Whitney, expensive though. I've got one on my 11 now too.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Many years ago I bought a 130/90 H4 bulb from one of my suppliers and although the bulb was made in Holland, it was labeled "off road use only, not for use in Europe." I didn’t notice the difference in town but I was out at my brother’s place out in the sticks and ended up leaving late. It was amazing how it lit up those backcountry roads.

I have an 85/100 bulb in the Mongrel and it’s seems OK but I haven’t been out of the city since I installed it a couple months ago.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks !!

uzzz guys are great, thanks. I went to the local auto store and got the silver star. Works awesome. Thanks for all the fast input talk again soon. Jamie

Comment

Hey Tony/Geezer,

2Fast states the stock wiring isn't designed to handle the amperage of the 80/100 watt bulbs, have you had any problems with melting or heating of the wires and connectors for your headlight with the higher wattage bulb?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The only problem I had wasn't caused by the bulb but was from corrosion. The Guzzi went 5+ years with the 130w bulb.

My Vetter fairing came with a 85/55 bulb and I reciently upped it to the 100/55. The ignition switch plug was melted but that's because I was in a hurry to get this bike on the road to go to a rally and I didn't grease the terminals. Anyway a couple years later and it was a mess. When I worked on it this time I installed new plugs and used plenty of dielectric grease.

In the 2+ months since I installed the new reg/rec and the new bulb, I have seen no signs of a problem.

Geezer

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                          Hey Tony/Geezer,

2Fast states the stock wiring isn't designed to handle the amperage of the 80/100 watt bulbs, have you had any problems with melting or heating of the wires and connectors for your headlight with the higher wattage bulb?
                          T.C.

Comment

Dunno about later Guzzis but the older ones (V7s, Ambassadors and Eldorados) had alternators and starters that were nearly identical to those found in Fiat automobiles and the batteries were similarly hefty so I would imagine they would stand up to a mere increase in headlamp wattage. My concern with a higher wattage headlamp would be if the XS11 alternator/regulator setup is capable of keeping the battery charged sufficiently. My XS650s electrics (also notoriously weak) seemed to keep the battery charged with a 100w high beam but I generally kick-started the bike. Actually, I generally kick-start my 11SF too.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

My Guzzi is a 1976 and a first year 850T3. It has a car sized starter but the battery is much smaller.

My XS11 had enough power for the brighter light even before I installed one of my upgraded the reg/rec unit.

Your 650 should have enough juice to power a 100w bulb too. Odds are the stock regulator is working less than 100% and the terminals need to be cleaned.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X