What is wrong with my front end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with my front end?

I am still a noob to wrenching but I decided to try and see if I could fix my bike. The front end was bent out of whack from the accident and so I commenced dismantling it to try and find out what was wrong. My first question is : Should the bottom part of the front forks move freely with no tire in the way?(the front fender is off) Secondly : how do I know if it is straight with out putting the tire back on? What is the next step? I removed the headlight assembly to see if I could see if the triple tree was bent but I am not sure how to check that either. If anyone has any advice or can help me that would be great!
    Thanks
    Greg
    XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Re: What is wrong with my front end?

It sounds like you are most of the way there, so I would remove the triple tree and forks to get a better look. Not sure what you mean by forks moving freely with no tire in the way, but they should go up and down on the upper tube. This will take quite a bit of pressure though. Easier when you can put one end on the floor and put some weight on em, one at a time. If you don't have service and parts manuals, get em. It will answer so many more questions, and show you some nifty pictures too.

Originally posted by xsivelybad
    Should the bottom part of the front forks move freely with no tire in the way?(the front fender is off) Secondly : how do I know if it is straight with out putting the tire back on? What is the next step? I removed the headlight assembly to see if I could see if the triple tree was bent but I am not sure how to check that either. If anyone has any advice or can help me that would be great!
    Thanks
    Greg
    Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

fork tubes

If I understand you correctly... yes, without the tire and fender on, the lower fork tubes should be able to spin around.
      Found this tip from SuperDave about checking fork alignment:
      the fork tubes are secured at the top and bottom of the tripple tree, with a pinch bolt setup, if the top and bottom trippls arn't paralle, it puts the front axe out of plane with the chassis. The mirror is placed against the fork tubes between the botton tripple and the lower fork legs. the mirror normaly is almost flat and wont flex. if the mirror doesn't contact both tubes and wabbles the tube/s may be bent or out of alignment. To allign loosen the front axel and lower tripple pinch bolts and give the bars a slight twist.Retighten all pinch points and axel and re check
      Would also show if the tubes are bent.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Are there any pictures of this procedure...not really sure how everything moves....Thanks
        XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Comment

ok from what I can tell the front forks are not bent...I was able to straighten the front wheel but now I can't get everything back into the triple tree. Should I take the tire off all the way? ( the forks fell below the top tree) anyway I need some input because I think if I have someone to lift while I fenagil them into place I could get it...any suggestions?
          XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

The proper way to R & R fork tubes is to remove the front wheel, caliper and fender first.

I suppose that, with assistance and/or a jack, you could finagle them back in, but that will be much tougher than with the components removed.
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

XB, to check that the forks aren't bent and are sliding smooth with no 'catching' you need to remove the springs and slide the forks by hand. Then you'll know immediately. If bent, they'll probably still slide up and down with the springs still in, but you'll get a harsh feel from the front on bumps, braking etc..

Comment

Hey guys
                Ok so I followed your advice.
                pggg said:
                "to check that the forks aren't bent and are sliding smooth with no 'catching' you need to remove the springs and slide the forks by hand. "
                And the forks moved freely with out the springs in. I put them back on the bike but they were still caterwampus. So we got creative and put our backs into it. We used a metal bar and our strength to tweak the forks the other direction. I know that sounds silly but it actually seemed to have worked!! The real problem is not the forks but the triple tree that is where the front end is bent up. I think tommorow I may replace the triple tree with one I have from a 550(hopefully the same size)because I forgot to put the headlight mounts back on the forks anyway lol!! Let me tell you though that the removal of the front end is easy but replacing it is the PITA!!
                Here are some pictures of what we accomplished...any advice is appreciated.

[IMG]G:\DCIM\100MEDIA[/IMG]
                XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

Sorry here is the image
                  http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...730E3168362171
                  XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

The best way to check for bent tubes is to strip the tubes out of the forks completely and place them on a flat surface and roll them while they are touching together. If they are bent even in the slightest you will see a gap appear between them at some point.

Comment

Hey Turbopete,
                      That's a great tip!
                      So here's another: save your bent fork tubes, cut them to about 8 to 10 inches, and use them later to press/hammer new steering bearings onto the shaft of the lower triple. And on the subject of steering bearings, save the old races that you've knocked out of the steering head. Take them to your bench grinder and grind away a little of the outside diameter. Use the old races to push the new ones into the steering head. (By grinding them smaller, they won't stick in the tube)
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                      X