broke the mirror clean off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broke the mirror clean off!!

I was trying to replace one of the mirrors with a mirror from another bike and while removing the old mirror I guess i cranked it too hard. The bolt the at the bottom of the mirror snapped clean off right at the top of the brake handle...How can I remove the rest of the bolt? I have lots and lots of tools but I am stumped because there is no way to grip it. Please help.
    Greg
    XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Is it the standard thread mirror or the reverse thread mirror? If it's the standard thread, drill a hole in the remainder of the stud and soak the threads with penetrating oil and use an EZ out screw remover. I dont know if they make them for reverse thread applications, but an automotive tool place could tell you.
    80 G "The Beast"
    81 H "The Dresser"
    79 XS650 II
    82 650 Maxim
    70 DT-1 Enduro
    66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
    96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

if its reverse thread drill and use a regular tap to remove the remaining part of bol

1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

hmm..

How do I know if it is reverse or normal?? I have and XS1100 midnight special if that helps.
        XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Comment

Which side is the broken mirror? The right hand (throttle) side is left hand thread, and vice versa. There are straight flute screw extractors available, if you should need to remove the l/h thread.

Comment

well that is probably why it broke then because i was turning it to the left lol.
            Oh well, where to I find a straight flute screw extractor?
            XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

also does anyone know what size that screw is?
              XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

It's a 10x1.25mm thread.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by xsivelybad
                  well that is probably why it broke then because i was turning it to the left lol.
                  Oh well, where to I find a straight flute screw extractor?
                  Try NAPA or most another quality auto parts store or one of the tool trucks will have them. Hell, even Sears should have them.
                  One little hint about the mirrors. The left hand threaded side will (should) have small notches cut into the points of the nut that tightens the miror to the mount.

Comment

thanks everyone I will try that out today and let you know how it works out.
                    Thanks
                    Greg
                    XS1100 Midnight Special

Comment

If you put plenty of penitrating oil on the threads BEFORE trying to drill, you may find the drill will back out the bolt. I use a "reverse twist" or left hand drill when trying to remove a standard bolt, and a LOT of times it will catch and the bolt just spins out.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My bike fell over and I broke the adapter that hooks to my windshield off, it attached to where the right mirror screws in, and the mirror screwed into it.

The threads to the adapter came right out of the base-right brake handle, and I just got a bolt with the same thread, ground down the head (leaving just a bit of the head to weld to) and welded the bolt back on. Worked like a charm.

Good luck.
                        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                        X