Small Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Oil Leak

After I replaced the shifter side plate over the weekend, I refilled the oil (3.7 qts, took it to the top line of the sight glass) and started her up. Now I have a small leak (More of a weep actually) from around the Cam Chain Adjuster cover. Did I overfill or what? That didn't happen prior to the oil change. I am planning to get a new gasket and fix the problem beofre SWMBO gets real mad about the laundry problem I am creating (Pants legs have small oil dots). Question would be - is there anything I should be aware of before disassembling the Cam Chain Adjustment cover? I'd hate to be wrenching and hear "Sproing! Clicka Clicka Clicka tack" as some component in the Cam adjuster falls into the case.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

If the gasket around the tensioner didn't leak before, it probably isn't leaking now. It is usually hard to tell where the oil comes from, but more often than not, it comes right out of the end seal...that button gizmo. One thing that can make it leak is to have the crank breather plugged, causing higher pressures. I caused such a thing to happen once.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nothing will be sacrificed to the crankcase gods when you remove the tensioner. Just leave the tensioner lock bolt tight when you pull the whole assembly from the engine.

Comment

Come to think of it, my XT had the breather plugged once and would leak out of the cylnder head. Scary. I'll take a look at that. I was also wondering about that button thingy, is it just a press in? A couple of taps with a plastic mallet maybe?
        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

It has been said here that the plug in the end of the tensioner is still available from YamaMama.

Comment

Yeah, it just presses in with your thumb, but you will likely damage it trying to get it out. You can clean its seat with carb cleaner on a rag and put a coating of high temp RTV or yamabond(?) or something to get a better seal.

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
            Come to think of it, my XT had the breather plugged once and would leak out of the cylnder head. Scary. I'll take a look at that. I was also wondering about that button thingy, is it just a press in? A couple of taps with a plastic mallet maybe?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeh it is still availible from Yamaha and I used Yamabond #4 no leaks.
              There's always a way, figure it out.
              78XS11E

Comment

Working...
              X