Carbs off for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs off for the first time

Don't know if it was sheer luck or all the forum advise and tech tips here, but it just took me less than 5 minutes to remove carbs for the first time!
    This is my recent extra bike and figured I might as well yank them as long as the motor is still locked up. Actually I think someone had recently had them off. Screws were just nicely snugged and I barely got my hands dirty they were so clean. No clue as to what, if anything, has been done to them. Hope things go as well if or when I decide to explore the innards.
    Again, many thanks to everyone here!
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

You just didn't know any better.
    Once you gain experience it will take longer to remove the carbs. It will become more difficult each time. I think this is because you will remember how easy it was the 1st time, after that it becomes another PITA.
    FWIW I've never had a particularly hard time taking my carbs off. Shows how much I know.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I can get most of the parts OFF easily. It's getting them back on and WORKING that's hard!!
      All those pesky rubber tubes the carbs are supposed to fit in are a pain. Trying to get four carbs into four rubber air horns without loosing any clamps can be a challange, IMHO.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yep, visions of reassembly are always there.
        As I look at the top of the airbox hanging there I remember that the top screw was not connected, only the two side ones. That top bracket looks to have been bent upward by somebody and no longer lines up with the mounting hole. I had read about only backing off those four screws two turns or problems result, so I'm not sure how I can bend the bracket back into correct shape without removing it and those 4 screws.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

With the airbox completely off would there be any reason not to take that whole v shape bracket on top off, taking out all four screws? To bend it back into shape? Any reassembly problems?
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

The note in my Clymer’s manual cautions: “Do NOT loosen or remove any of the Phillips head screws on the top of the air cleaner box. There are many internal washers, sleeves, brackets, etc., that will come apart. It is very time consuming and frustrating to reassemble these little monsters, so leave them alone.”

Of course, I regularly use the technique of loosening the 4 screws two turns only, for carb R&R, and I’ve never had any problem retightening them.
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

It takes three hands and a small finger to put the bracket back on if you remove the screws.
              Just don't ask how I know
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Don't mess with the airbox screws! It will awaken the demon that resides in there.

Comment

Guess I try to do some bending WITHOUT taking those screws out. thanks guys
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

I alway bend the bracket like yours when I have to pull the carbs, but with a pair of channel locks, it can be bent back in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X