No Power Need Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power Need Help!!!

Ok with my bike still out of commision I need to come to you guys for more help. My bike lost power last week from a dead battery and when I charged the battery and put it in I got power but as soon as I replaced the seat the bike went dead. I noticed I hit the negative ground terminal while putting the bike seat back on and that is when the bike lost all power. I got nothing right now. After checking some connections I wiggled the fuse box and got power for a split second before losing it again. So I ran a wire directly from the battery to my fuse box and whala I have power but I know its a terrible way to fix a electic connection. However when I run the line directly to the fuse box I still dont have any power to my tachometer or my head light. This is starting to really become a chore so I need some advice from an outside source. Would it be a bad play to just replace the entire wiring harness and not worry about the headaches of old corroded wires? Or does this sound more like a bad ground? Thanks for all the advice you have given me in the past and I will stay close to the computer waiting for more.

Both my "F" and "SF" had this problem. I would be sitting at a stop light and the bike would die. No electrical power anywhere. I would walk home and return with my truck, to have the bike start right up and run fine.

There is a heavy wire with a red cloth cover on it that attaches to the solenoid (aft of the fuse block on the left side). This is the bikes main power wire. I found that the connector crimp had become corroded and loose. I cleaned the wire up and soldered on a new connector on both bikes. I have not had the problem on either bike since.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Re: No Power Need Help!!!

Originally posted by cleats
      Ok with my bike still out of commision I need to come to you guys for more help. After checking some connections I wiggled the fuse box and got power for a split second before losing it again.
      Check out the new tech tips listed in the XS/XJ discussion forum. If you have not replaced your main fuse and fuse block with something newer you will be plagued with problems! BTDT
      Norm Willey
      94 BMW K75RT
      nwilley@shaw.ca

Comment

Do not forget that (at least on the 80 special) there is a seperate MAIN fuse, located in a rubber thingy under the seat near the left side cover (or it may be under the left side cover).

Those are prone to making a bad connection. I highly recommend the fuse box fix on the techtips, and put the main in the new box as well.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
        X