No announcement yet.

1979 XS 11 Jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see where you are coming from. Thanks for the advice. Am I using the chart right though? I think I'll only go the 3 sizes, but am just wondering. Have you noticed any loss at low RPM with the port job...not to stray from subject...
    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
    80 xs11sg
    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Glarus, about carbs my comments might only apply to 78-79 carbs, as the later models seemingly changed to a whole new direction. The guys with later model XS's will have all the clues about those 80-81 carbs. About ported heads, port jobs are not all the same - a street/roadbike port job is designed to INCREASE low and midrange grunt as well as top end. They do it by reshaping and trimming out the ports to give a better more efficient flow than stock.

You can always have them bore out the ports to great gulping cavernous holes, and your XS will be quite handy down at Bonneville so long as you spend megabucks on the additional neccassary engine modifications. Alas, the poor XS would turn into a miserable, slovenly, bad-tempered pig for street/road riding.

Port jobs and hotter cams go hand in hand. A street port job without hotter cams still gives a good power boost because of the more efficient cylinder head flow. Combined with a good streetbike profiled hotter cam, the results are even better. Dropping in hotter cams without a port job is basically a waste of money, as the stock cylinder head can only utilise a small percentage of the hot cams' potential.

Comment

I did learn from Bob Jones that a radically ported head needs the air box removed to run. I'm keeping my air box so I guess my head will remain basically stock.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Thanks for the info. The 79 is my daily, so I'll be jetting it first. Not really looking for a track bike. Maybe just some: "Yeah I did this..." What's the point of doing all this without some bragging rights. For the extra money I may buy both sizes. I bought another head to play with as well. I've seen the streetable hot cams some places, but that is in fact extra money...anyway thats for another thread.
          The 80 I'll putz with as I go. Three sizes there I guess.
          Have been looking at the Megasquirt too... Thread looks a little dead, but the site is still rolling aong.

"Why couldn't I have a smaller hobby?"

As always. Thanks all.

Thom
          79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
          80 xs11sg
          81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

"Why couldn't I have a smaller hobby?"
            Thom;
            You cold be trying to hop up a Peterbuilt
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You cold be trying to hop up a Peterbuilt
              He he. Funny you should say that Ray. My friend was just talking about a cabover he bought for a thousand bucks...All I had to say to him was "Hands off here man, and what the h*** are you thinking."
              Geez I am making a slight crossover to bikes, because all my automobile projects always took up too much room. I can't imagine what would happen if I came home with a semi!

---oops...here honey. Please put my other "marble" in yer purse.--

Thom
              79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
              80 xs11sg
              81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
              X