Real quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real quick question

could I change a float needle and seat from an outside carb without removing the carbs?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Yes, but resetting the float level... that'd be iffy.
    Question is... why are you changing only one?
    Does the outside carb leak? Overflow?
    Sure...Needle could be worn, but just how far behind it the other needles are worn, you can't tell.
    Yes, you can remove all the float bowls with the carbs in place(did it two weeks ago to rejet), but it's really not worth the trouble, (especially #3).
    Pull the bank of carbs, clean them and put in all new needles,(if needed), check float level, and your conscience is clear.
    'member to bench test the carbs for leaks before reinstalling them.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Sorta quick answer,

Yes.......will be easier if your float pin went in from outside to inside! Also helpful to have short screwdrivers! Will be difficult to verify the float height though, but if you're careful not to bend the adjusting tang, then I would think that it should be close, since the new seat and needle should be very close to the same dimensions as the old ones...allowing for a variance in height due to wear/compression of the viton/rubber tipped needle!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Real quick question

It would be a LOT easier to remove the bank-o-carbs first!

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        could I change a float needle and seat from an outside carb without removing the carbs?
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I use the Bob Jones method and the Carbs just slip right off in less than 10 min. The trick is the air box manipulation...LOL
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I could find or figure out what this "Bob Jones method" is.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thanks to all for the good advise and encouragement. I went ahead and pulled the whole bank, replaced all the float valves, found out that I have 110 mains across the board, and found that I made a mistake the first time I adjusted the floats and had them set to ~23mm insted of the correct (per Clymers) 25.7mm. I ordered my 4 new 120 mains last night. As soon as they get here, no more airbox! After my ride to school this morning I am so proud of myself that it runs great and the high idle when warm is gone.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
              X