No announcement yet.

Speedometer Housing Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is probably a dumb idea, but has anyone talked to one of those gauge restoration company's? They usually work on car gauges, but maybe they would do a motorcycle too? Just a thought.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Last time I tried a speedometer repair shop was back in the mid '80s and I was charged about $100. That kind of defeats the purpose of owning an old bike and working on it yourself. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Don Lawson fixes gauges for about $35 IIRC. We cheapskates can just open 'em and fix 'em ourselves. The most common problems I've noticed with Yamaha clocks is the screws backing out of the faceplate and the little shields around the light bulbs falling off inside while one is replacing burned out bulbs. Both of these problems are easy to fix once you've got the case open.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

AK,

I am sure they would do it... but at what price? If anyone gets an estimate let us know. I suspect it's pricy.

Is it possible to get XS650 speedos to work on the XS11? Mikes XS has a lot of those!

-J
        1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Yes, since you have a "S" model, the gauges are round. The speedometers almost all use the same number of turns per mile, so almost any that will fit, will work.
          The Tachometer is the only thing that will not work. On most bikes they are mechanical. The XS1100 has electronic tachometers, and that is all you can use without doing a LOT of work.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Speedos from a triple will work too though they're only 140 mph instead of 160. If you can get your bike to go 140 you're a genius!
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

One time only attempt for me, had my E showing 143MPH. on the stock speedo (9,000 RPM). Only did it once, I feel no need to do it again.
              This (both my XS's) is the only bike that I've had that didn't run out of 'oomph' in top gear before redline. I truely believe that (in good, even stock condition) these engines will grenade before they run out of power.
              My LG I took to 135MPH one morning on a (unusual) deserted stretch on Hwy 99. Grooved highway pavement is no place to do that. The LG has a 750 speedo.
              "I'm no genius and I can prove it "
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey CCogswel,

Thanks for the detailed info, and when/if I ever need to get into the Speedo, it'll be handy info. However, I am going to be working on the Tach!

BTW, Risky, I have an old 650 speedo on mine, it has a nice dark green face....which matches my GREEN color theme!! IT only goes to 120, but is much farther than my OEM 85mph went, and I haven't pegged the needle YET!!

As for the Tach faceplate, was thinking of replacing the faceplate, vs. just putting the sticky lable on top!? I'm assuming it's thin metal, either aluminum or steel/tin? I was thinking of using one of those CDrom clear blanks that are on top of Spindle sets of CD's, used for protection of the real cds!? The lights would shine thru it easily, and would just need to trim it down to size, and drill some small mounting holes for the screws.

Thanks Mike, for the ideas of the sealant. Hadn't thought of that, since it was going to be inside the sealed case, didn't think it would necessarily be needed. Wonder if it my have UV protection properties as well, which might help protect from fading!?

As for fade resistant inks?? I've got a HP930 Inkjet that can do PHOTO quality. I don't plan on leaving it out in the sun much, it's garaged, and only sees the out of doors during rides, which are few and far between!

Well, I've got a few other projects to do before I get to these, but I'll take photos and such to report my progress.....
                or failure!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thing is TC, the cases aren't really sealed, they have places where moisture can get in (and out, thank goodness). My HP 7410 does photo quality but I don't believe the standard cartridges are really fade resistant. The yellow and red dyes go first which is why our tachs redlines turn white. Black doesn't fade, just colors. I believe the faces are actually printed on translucent white plastic IIRC but don't quote me on that.

Folks in need of speedos or repair might ask Don Lawson who operates a repair service. He's usually got a few reconditioned instruments around for cheaper than junkyard prices, around $30-$50 usually with repainted bezels and bucket grommets included...of course they'll be for XS650s (85 or 120 mph) but occasionally he's got a clock which he doesn't know what model it goes to since he's really about 650s only. I just looked at his ad in the 650 Society newsletter and for repair he charges a $50 minumum bench fee with order + $5 shipping...I assume this is when he doesn't have to add parts such as glass, etc. He advises against throwing away that clock just because it rattles and also advises to remove a malfunctioning instrument from the bike immediately lest it be damaged seriously or have it's clock face scratched. Contact the man himself at dlawson@fidnet.com (573)368-5852, Don Lawson, 27 Green Acres Dr., Rolla, MO 65401.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X