Valve Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shims

I am going to measure and adjust my valve clearance at some point in the next couple of weeks. I will probably need some valve shims. My local Yammy dealer is rather unhelpful in most all regards so I don't want to mess with them. Anyone out there be willing to trade some spacers? Of course I won't know what size I need until I rip into them, but I thought I would go ahead and see what inventory is out there in the community and available for trade (or sale).

-RB
    1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Those are common 29mm shims that everyone uses. Take them to your local Kawasaki shop and see if they'll swap them out for you once you know the sizes that you need. Just make sure before you leave that you have the right diameter shims. Kawa used 32mm for a few years,(on I believe 7 bikes) so they may look almost the same, but are too large to fit.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Sweet. I didn't realize they were a commodity. I'll certainly check around and try to get a shop to trade out with me.

-RB

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

You might have better luck swapping shims at a small independent shop if you can find one - there's usually a better chance of talking directly to a mechanic who may also be the owner. Bigger dealerships tend to be much tighter about keeping customers away from the guys in the back.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I thought we had a shim pool? Or is that the XJ group? I know one of the guys has a pool where you order the needed shims, send a deposit and when you send back the old shims, get it back. I think he also has a shim tool for rent.
          82 XJ100J Gone
          83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

If you can't find any shims around your area I have a few. Don't know if I will have the size you need but i do have some and will swap the out with you.

My stock pile of shim sizes.

Y205 (4) Y210 (4) Y215 (3)
            Y220 (2) Y225 (3) Y230 (3)
            Y235 (3) Y240 (3) Y245 (0)
            Y250 (0) Y255 (0) Y260 (6)
            Y265 (4) Y270 (0) Y275 (4)
            Y280 (4) Y285 (2) Y290 (3)
            Y320 (1)

I have recently picked up a few more shims but have not added them to this list.
            Do'Lee
            XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
            (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
            (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
            (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
            SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

DoLee, thanks for the offer! If I can't scratch any up around here I may give you a yell. Thanks!

-RB

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

In case I can't find a trade I did some looking around and it looks like Cycle-Recycle has the best prices on shims for sale ($4.95 ea)

Link:

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

That link was a general link... here is the one right to the shims:

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/valve_shims.htm

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

I really like crc, they have some good stuff and good prices. I got ordered my new mains jets from them.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X