Shift Drum Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Drum Washer

I autopsied my missing fifth gear over the weekend. I was able to find the dowel and then carefully put the ear of the existing washer in place (4th was banged up too, so I tapped it back in place). After putting it all back together, 5th was back. For about 20 miles. I got home with my "4speed" and took it apart again (dinged the gas tank leaning to the right *&^$%#^%*&*@#@!!!!) and the tab had broken off of 5th and 4th was bent again. What causes this and is there a stronger part than the stock washer available? I ordered two new washers this morning, but would be happier if I knew I had a more bulletproof part thant the original Yammy washer. The cool thing was that while the washer held the pins in place, shifting was much smoother and it was nice to make 5th gear's acquantance again.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

?? I'm not quite following this, Papa Gino. Can you provide a photo, or perhaps refer to the following pages from the microfiche to better explain which dowels and washers are involved:
    http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/c15.gif
    http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/d5.gif
    Ken Talbot

Comment

The washer is just under the shift cover and holds the dowels that the shifter mechanism pushes and pulls to shift up or down. It's part number four in microfiche D5. I ordered two of those puppies from Yamaha cause they look like a weak link.
      Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Ken, Are the microfiches you use available for download somewhere (free or purchased)? They are very useful.
        Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

You can go to Yamaha-motors and go to their parts catalog for a break down microfiche on all yamaha models.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/my...starthere.aspx
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

The samples I posted in my reply came from here . It is something I put together a few years ago before this stuff was widely available on-line.

I haven't had a chance to look at my spare motor in the shed, but I don't remember that part as being particularly prone to breakage. Something tells me something may be out of whack with the shift lever or some of the mechanism on shift fork shaft. Does the shift lever feel right when you press down or lift up on it?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken,

You'd be doing us all a favor (you already have) by putting a link to your XS 11 "page" in the "links" section. That way we can find it readily when in need.

Thanks for your continuing contributions and advice to all of the readers.

Rick
              Rick
              '80 SG
              '88 FXR
              '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

When the "washer" tabs were not smack up against the Dowels, the shift was rough, (almost painful from 3rd to 4th). Once I had tapped them back into place, it was smooth until it let go (I suspect the washer fingers were fatigiued from the bending) I'll let you know how it feels once I get it back together (Saturday Afternoon I hope).
                Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

BTW, You may also want to check to ensure that the Shift pawl is properly synchronized with the shift drum. When it's in 2nd gear, there is a little NOTCH scribed on the side of the drum, and also in the middle of the shift pawl lever, and these should be aligned with each other. IF NOT, then you need to adjust the shift lever so that they are aligned=synched!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X