Extended forks and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended forks and springs

I have been searching and have not found information here on what length of springs would be needed with extended front forks. Or do you use the stock springs.
    I must say though I've been able to find just about any answer with the search feature.
    I hope to post pictures in a couple of months with my two xs11 projects. Thanks all.
    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
    80 xs11sg
    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Seems to me you could use the stock springs with a PVC spacer to make up the needed new length. IIRC, this is how you fit new progressive springs into Special forks - with a PVC spacer. TC should be able to confirm this as he's running a longer than normal front end...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks. Guess I spoke too soon. After I posted I tried another search. I guess you have to "ask the right question to get the right answer"

While I am on the subject. Does anyone know the stock fork length for the specials?

Thom
      79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
      80 xs11sg
      81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

My Clymer says 24.10 inches for a 80-81 special, and 20.31 for the G and H models.

Comment

Now, what's interesting is that the Specials are longer and use longer springs to begin with, but, yes, I still have a 4" spacer inside for the 4" longer tubes. SO...if you've got a Special, and are getting over lengths, just make sure you order springs for a special.

Well, I just looked, and the Progressives that DK list are the same # for either a Special or Standard.....so you might end up having to use an 8" spacer with PROGRESSIVES, if you are putting 4" over length on a Special?

I still have my OEM springs in mine, hence only the 4" spacer!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have been reading about the extensions here with TC's and all so I don't want to beat a dead horse here, it seems that to order tubes from Franks may cost me more than a whole assembly would cost me for an aftermarket setup. I have some resources to help me, although I'd like to stay as "stock" as possible.
            It would be nice to see a wider front end to fit the four cylinder engine. I appreciate the input on what I may need to use as a spacer and how much. I may need that with my 79 since I ordered a set of progressives for the front. (thanks)
            For any purists out there I do intend to keep my 79 as stock as possible excluding any xs related horsepower upgrades I can get my hands on. My other bike though will get a little working as far as the frame goes. If anyone has been watching the good ole E-bay I "won" an 80 special recently that has already been partially customized. It just so happened to be close to me so I snatched it up right away. nice guy too. I just hope he doesn't cringe when he sees his bike when I'm done....sorry.
            Thanks again guys...hope to be able to add any technicals when I can.

Thom
            79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
            80 xs11sg
            81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Thom, I look forward to seeing how you chop up your other XS. Sounds like a fun project.

I have the progressive springs in the front of my 79 Special. I used the 4" spacer made from PVC and no air. It works like a champ.
              1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Hey Glarusguy,

I've heard from Ken Talbot IIRC, that due to the size of the front frame steering head, the bearings, etc., that it's a bit difficult to put on a newer front end? Happy hunting for parts, and let us know what you find that works!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks Risky... MY 79 will need the spacer. Thanks for the input. All I need is the fork brace. Still looking.
                  Topcat... I will in fact let everyone know what I find as far as the front end. I plan to goto a particular local bike yard with my ruler and vernier (if needed). If I need I have a builder that is willing to help me with parts.
                  Such along tour and the parts are pileing up at home

Thanks...

Thom
                  79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                  80 xs11sg
                  81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
                  X