Coating Tank w/Oil for Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coating Tank w/Oil for Storage

I seem to remember seeing "somewhere" that to help keep rust down for a bike not being ridden that you can add some oil to the gas and slosh it around.

If so, anyone remember the correct quantity? She's going to be sitting for another year at least til I can get her running.

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

I think you mean drain the gas from the tank, then coat the inside of the tank with oil, slosh it around to coat the inside. If you leave gas in the tank for two years, you'll have a hell of a mess to clean up.

Comment

Full tanks don't rust. I'd keep the tank full and add some fuel stabilizer to the gas and maybe a little MMO and Techron as well though a full tank of gas with stabilizer should be sufficient to prevent rust. As to quantities of additive follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Where you read it, was probably the owners manual (that's what's in the xj owners manual).

The quantity I believe was 2-3 tablespoons (my manual's at home & I'm logging in at work. I could get the exact quantity if you wish).

Personally, this is one area where we folks up here in Canada have a lot of expertise (putting ours in storage for half the year), what I do is simply fill the fuel tank with fuel and stabilizer, run the bike for a few minutes until it passes through the carbs.

Done deal - entire fuel system is protected.
        "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
        84xj1100
        82xj1100

Comment

Here's a good little article on bike storage

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maint...terstorage.htm

-RB
          1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

full tanks DO rust. Any moisture that gets inside the tank will eventually condensate and drip into the gas. you'll eventually get a puddle of water under the gas and if it sits there long enough it will rust that one spot. seen it a lot in bikes that have sat for 10 yrs or so.... but i would agree, a full tank has a harder time rusting than if you emptied it and let it sit.

What i was going to try if i ever needed it was to drain the tank, dry it completely, then drop a couple of those moisture absorber packet things you get with new shoes in on strings and then plug it up. no idea if itll work.....

Comment

A properly oiled tank can set for a couple years without rusting. I use 2 stroke oil because it rinses out easier but motor oil is just fine. Plan on using a quart of solvent to clean the tank out before putting it back in service.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

The gas they sell in California has a lot of alcohol in it which tends to absorb water and keep it from settling in the bottom of the tank. Of course how much water is in the gas depends on how much water is in the storage tank at the gas station. I personally have never had a full tank rust but I suppose it's possible. I non-opped my 400 for about a year and a half with stabilizer and MMO in the full tank and the float chambers drained. I smelled the gas and it seemed OK so I tried starting it. It fired up second kick and ran OK so I just used up the whole tankfull!
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                X