Chroming questions and much more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chroming questions and much more

Hey guys. This winter I plan on doing some major cosmetic work, and putting some big $$ into my 79 Special. I would really like to have the engine covers chromed just to prevent the constant maintenance of polished aluminium, and in the long run I think it will be better decision since I plan on keeping this bike for quite a while. My question is this: is it possible to chrome the clutch cover, and gear shifter cover? I see that the have some parts attached on the inside (forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the proper names for them.) and without actually pulling them off and looking myself, I'm not sure if they could be removed for chroming. Also, does anyone think it would be possible to chrome the final drive if it was smoothed out?

Secondly, when the PO owned the bike someone whacked one of the rear turn signals pretty hard and pushed in the rubber grommet that holds it in place. Now the turn signal sits at an angle. I've found the replacement turn signals, but finding the rubber grommet that holds it in place is proving to be tricky. Does anyone know of a good place to buy the mounting hardware for the turn signals? I could also use the rubber parts for the front turn signals.

Finally, the paint on my frame is in pretty good shape, but there is a few rock chips, and surface rust that I would like to take care of. Does anyone know of a paint that matches the frame close enough so that I can take my airbrush to it? Thanks
    1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

I have a 79 xs11 special that I just got the valve cover, all four engine side covers and the rear fender rechromed for about $350 to $400. I now need to pick up the top and bottoms for the outside carbs, choke lever and the starter covers. I think that is another $100+.Done by a company in Omaha called Industrial Plating. They specialize in motor cycle parts. Just got a polished ss bolt "kit" for $25 (included shipping) for 52 allen headed cap screws to replace rusty ones. I've done some temporary touch ups on my frame with spray can of paint but you must really mask everything off or your will get it where you don't want it. This winter I will remove everything from the frame, sandblast and powder coat.
    DEW
    One Red "Creation 1"
    One Black"Creation 2"
    One Black"Creation 3"
    One ???? "Creation 4"
    One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

Comment

AkMac, The rear turn signal grammet is Yamaha Part number 1E6-83321-00-00, Yamaha call it a Flasher Damper. Bike Bandit have it in stock.
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

If you are talking about the big round grommets with the square hole in the center, I got a pair of them new from the Yamaha dealer near me for my 80g. He had to order them and got them in about a week. All other parts were available too, except that "Washer Special Shape".

Steve
        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
        Norton Electra - future restore
        CZ 400 MX'er
        68 Ducati Scrambler
        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Hey Akmac,

The shifter cover has a rubber shift shaft seal that should be removed. The clutch cover has the glass viewing window.

Many folks have done some fantastic polishing of their covers, so they shine almost as good as a chrome finish. I would think after you would attain that, then you could clear coat them to seal in the polished finish!? Would be a lot cheaper than getting chromed! Just a thought!

Hey Dewibp,
          Did you remove the glass view window, and how did you replace it??
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Instead of chromeing you might consider nickel plating. This finish is sturdier than crome and looks the same. I am getting some stuff done this winter in Ottawa, ON, Canada (Good local deal for me). Just a thought.

Comment

TC- I just "machined" a piece of oak board and pressed the glass bulls eye out. I have not put it back in yet.
              DEW
              One Red "Creation 1"
              One Black"Creation 2"
              One Black"Creation 3"
              One ???? "Creation 4"
              One ???? "Creation 5"
              One ???? "Parts Bike"
              All the above 1100 Specials
              78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
              1980 Midnight Special
              1978 650 SE

Comment

Go For It!!
                Last edited by dragxs11; 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM.
                1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Dragxs11, You would say that. I've seen your bike!! and yes, that is green in the eyes!
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It turned out good, I think so.. tried to post a pic, but it didn't take. But do chrome the covers, looks best with a black engine, but good either way. Rubber gromets, as said, are readily available. And I don't know what to tell you about the frame. Haven't had to do that yet.
                    Matt
                    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll look into the nickel plating, but so far chrome seems to be the winner.

As for the frame touch-up I'll try running PJ1 frame paint through my airbrush. I have a feeling it will work if I prep the area good enough.

dragxs11 - I've also seen your bike, and I must say it's awesome. A picture of it is taped to the inside of my locker at work. If you have any more pictures please email me them. I have quite a few questions for you, as my dream bike has a lot of the same things your bike does (EBC brakes, superbike bars, etc).
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

When you look at what a new comparable bike costs today, #'s wise at least, you can make a pretty cool bike out of an xs11 for less $$. Thats all I did. There have been times, though, that I've almost given up. But I get a kick out of people saying, " what the hell was that" when I pass them up. A lot of people are shocked when I tell them it's a 26 year old bike with 72K on the odometer.
                        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

In regards to the turn signal drooping, one of my rear signals had this problem also. All that needed to be done was remove the assembly and gromit. There are tabs that slip inside the grommit to support the light assembly, these need to be straightened. Once I bent these tabs back to the proper form and re-assembled the turn signal, my droop was gone.

Just a thought
                          Just rolin' down lifes highway avoiding the potholes

Comment

Working...
                          X