unreal module stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unreal module stuff

Well Last year around August,I posted a message wondering about building my own module for my 81 XS1100.I went through all the crap with module problems and eventually blewup one of my coils and fried the module.Made it back to the city on two cylinders.
    Tried the older module on the 81 but had the advance problems since 81's the advance is built into the module and it had no centrifical or vacume advance.
    Being a mechanic,out of desperation,I changed the distributor shaft from an '89 for the advance parts,and MADE my own module to fire the coils;thanks to GM.
    Was about to install the tested module with the new advance mechanism and the starter went,and no kick start.
    The made module had been tested,and the advance with an old module has been tested...just need to test them together once I get the starter fixed.
    Crap timing for the starter or what.
    The made module costed me about 20 bucks and should last 5 years or more.Like dirt cheap.
    Im wondering if anyone is interested in making their own module since we are all tired of this old Yamaha crap they made.
    Have pics and wiring diagrams for it all.
    Think about it...with the older advance mechanism, the module only has to fire the coils...!
    When I get the starter fixed,I'll let you know.
    Thumper

Re: Module Joys made

We have our fingers crossed!!!

Originally posted by ThumperNow

When I get the starter fixed,I'll let you know.
    Thumper
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I've been meanin to do this myself. I have all the parts but I haven't got around to puting it all together.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

MADE CDI Module

Done Deal!
        Im tired of the module CDI bull**** and aint gonna take it any more!
        Dear father passed away 3 years ago, andIm left to take care of the machine.The machine from hell!
        Well after blowing coils and modules on the finicky 81 XS 1100, I went and built my own module.
        This works great and my job is done...Ya Rex...I'll keep it going!
        This setup works great and I wish the best for all the riders stuck with this old technology crap.No replacement parts,and through the dealer its like $700.00, what crap...
        Im mad,sad and happy.I'll make my millions somewhere else...
        IF I can fifure out how to add an attachment to the next letter, we can all build our own Ignition modules, and thank Yamaha for the lack of replacement parts.
        Hand me my rye and Stones CD and I'll get the diagrams to you...
        just waiting for the sysop to get back to me...
        THEN nothing stops my bike from running full bore....
        ya...Im wound...and ya...this works for about $20.00...like dirt cheap...
        Both the 81 XS 1100 and 76 650 are in good hands...
        Both mean the world...and we will ride again...

Comment

that is awesome, congrats!
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

unreal module stuff

Well,I think we have all gone through module problems with reliability,dieing out,missing,hard to find replacement parts....
            After going through so much bull**** trying to keep the old mans bike going,that was willed to me,and a year of problems and wondeing if I would ever be able to keep it on the road...this...
            A few days ago,in my last post I mention I did build my own module and am no longer a slave to Yamaha parts...that you can no longer buy.
            Thanks to a shop called Giana Manufatoring Inc., I have found the many components to build my own module.
            The man behind the counter could not understand what my happiness was all about, and he freely sold me the components I had been searching for for over a year.Hard to find until then.
            I was so over joyed that I wanted to help out all the riders and freely give the wiring diagram with my last post.But I couldnt attach a n attachment to my post...
            I emailed this page directly explaining my problem and asked to be allowed to add an attachment so we could all build the module and be free of the old technology problems...
            With in 8 hours I recieved two offers for financing and marketing of my wiring diagrams, and was shown how the module could easily be made smaller than a pack of smokes.
            I waited four days for THIS web page to get back to me and enable me to post this wonderful cure to module problems.
            As of this writing...they still havent gotten back to me to attach the wiring schematics for free...so we could all build our own.
            Im now left with the knowledge that this group of people,who I assume all own XS 1100, and as a whole are concerned and would be interested in building their own module...its all a hoaxs.
            I would have given my left nut to be able to get this information...
            Then to read 70 have read my last post and one replied with a congrats...nice...but Im lead to believe no one seems to care about this solution...and the web page people couldnt be bothered to allow me to post the diagrams....
            These are my thoughts and opinions on how this all turned out...
            Since even now I cannot Attach the diagrams on how to build the module...I guess I will make my millions and go into marketing with the offers I recieved....
            Sorry to all that didnt get it for free...Im just as sad with the whole turn of events....
            What a big joke....
            dont think I'll be posting anything for a while...

Comment

Thumpernow, You lost me - what module are you talking about?

Comment

Just a thought

Hi ThumperJay, I think the problem is instead of posting to the same thread you have spread them out. I went back thru your old posts and figured out what you are talking about. If you have Adobe Acrobat writer (the one you have to pay big bucks for) you could make a pdf file from your drawing, then save as a jpg file format. Then you would be able to post it to Photo bucket so it would show up here by using a link to it.

The reason you can't send an attachment is because of virus's that can be sent with it and I'm sure a bandwidth problem.

If you can't figure out or don't have the programs needed to make this work you can email to me at delzell@iname.com and I can create them and send back to you to post.

Sorry about the bad feeling's, stay with us we need people like you to help us non mechcanical people.

I am also sending this to your private email to make sure you get it.
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

Ya know, I don't think that people are ignoring you. You have done a great thing. A few other members have made replacement modules also. A member, Randy Rago has learned how to repair them, and he only charges $25 for his service, and used modules are on ebay all the time, and they don't seem to be very expensive. I have three spares myself. A really great feat would be to replicate the 81's module It is differnt from the older models, as Yamaha eliminated the mechanical advance, and programmed it into the module. A new module for the XJ11 would probably be well recieved also. Another thing is that building your own may be beyond the abilities of some members who are not electrically/mechanically inclined. Keep up the good work, and don't berate the members for not jumping all over it. Many new products take time to move off the shelf.

Comment

The ciircuit schematic would be a good thing to have! Personally, I know that if I soldered a thing like that together, it would be as big as an elephant and would be vulnerable to damage because of dangling components! Hell, I can't even tie a fishing hook onto line anymore, let alone solder...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I read your post and wonder what it would cost for someone to redo or make a new box for a 78E. These bikes (lets face it) are getting a little long in the tooth. I think you have a great idea. I`am not the best hand when it comes to stuff like this but we will need it in the long run.
                      Bill Harvell

Comment

Thumper,

You've really done something cool by making the module and working out all the electronics. I never could have done that and I really think its cool that you are offering to post your findings. I suspect that the lack of a strong reception is because folks who are not having electrical issues don’t really think about the little black boxes that much. If you would like some help posting your diagrams and anything else, feel free to PM me and I will help you. I know your Dad would be proud that you have kept his bike running and been a supporter of the mechanical arts!

If you would like to commercially produce the modules, I wish you the best of luck. Don't kid yourself about the profit margins, however. When making electronic components for 20-year-old bikes it would be easier to lose $10K than to make $10K.

-RB
                        1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Ignition module's

It would seem like the simple solution to this module problem would be to simply aquire some spares, then you can spend your time on more important thing's.I bought my Special new in 81 and it still has the original module and it's highly unlikely it will malfunction,but if it does I have four spares.Why try to reinvent the wheel with all this back yard engineering,just get yourself a spare one from E-bay and relax.Of course Thomas Edison began in his back yard in Menlo park,so all back yard engineering is not bad.
                          81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

concerns me

what concerns me is how a person can come here and trash a whole large group of people. Thinking he's going to get rich off us!first off what are the chances that every module for every bike on this site are junk all at once? (ya better play the lotto instead,chances are better of winning) And lets not forget MSD and ACCELL also make control modules that can be used on bikes for around 150 bucks.And likeDan said just get spares if your thatconcerned it blowing up on a trip. (personally i,d rather carry a spare tranny or clutch cables than an control mod.) I'm sorry i didn't give you props so here you go. I think it's absolutly great that you went out of your way to reproduce a part for our bikes,you have much more time than me (and skills) when mine stops working i'll be looking for you. Thanks again.
                            1982 XJ 1100
                            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

He's not "trying to get rich off us". He was wanting to post the scematics and parts list so those of us that wanted to could make our own.
                              I do think he was surprised at the (seemingly) lack of interest. Randy repairs the existing XS boxes for a price (a good thing). Other people have offered services or ideas for our bikes and they are sometimes accepted or blasted. Rob Reil with the carb service was run out of here on a ai (no pun intended). Limited response to the latest voltage regulator thread. Tkat forkbraces are accepted as were Chris Rawsons brakelines (before he left the planet with a couple of members money).
                              Not every idea makes every person jump for joy. Some want a bike that 100% original, others want to squeeze every bit of power out, others want the ultimate tour bike.
                              The great thing is the XS can be all of those (just not at the same time). Supporting this versitile bike is this and other groups. The people in these communities is what sets us apart. The XS triple sites are much like this one (several of us are on both). I'm also on a Virago group. That group is less "get together" than the XS bunch. I have yet to hear of them organizing a rally.
                              I'm glad that people are willing to share their ideas and talents. It dosen't bother me that they charge money for it. I don't have to spend money either, but then I don't have to own or ride an XS either.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X