Carb floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb floats

I have a 79 xs1100 sf and I'm having trouble with two of my floats leaking gas into them and then causing the bike to run rich on that cylinder. I've looked around and can't find any new ones for bikes older than 81. Correct me if I'm wrong but that was when the floats were switched from the old brass type like mine to the black plastic floats. My question for all you XS masterminds out there is if the size or shape changed also or can I use a newer plastic float in place of my old brass ones. And even if this works I will prolly have to readjust the fuel level, assuming that the new floats weigh less and hence float better.

Thanks in advance,
    Lukas
    79 XS11 Special

Lukas,
    Where in IL are you, I,m in Rockford.
    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I have some of those out of a 79sf, brass, contact me at andreashweiss@yahoo.com I am just heading out to work. later.

Comment

The brass floats CAN be repaired. First, get the liquid out of them, put them in HOT water, look for bubbles, and solder the leaks.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

I had a float go bad one my 78E. Got a new plastic replacement from Mikes XS. The guy that replaces it and set the float height said it was not a problem to use it.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I've tried soldering the holes but I keep finding more. The old float is just really thin so I think it keeps developing new holes. I bought some gas and oil resistant "seal all" from local parts store and I'm going to try coating the entire float with that. If that doesn't work out I'm going to mail andreashweiss and hope his are in better shape than mine. BTW I'm located in southern IL. Effingham to be exact.
            79 XS11 Special

Comment

You might want to check its resulting "float height" against the adjacent carb's by doing manometer tube (U-tube) measurements.

Originally posted by nightrider
              and I'm going to try coating the entire float with that.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

HHmmm...?
                A Night Rider... and a EZ Night Rider. Both from Illinois. Might have been twins separated at birth!
                And since I was raised close to Rockford and My Ex's family lives in Effingham.... would that make me the crazed uncle that they have locked in the attic?
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Don't know. Did you ever give your younger nephews rides on old Harley police trikes at xsive speed and make turns on two wheels.
                  It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
                  81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
                  82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
                  82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I've got reservations about soldering floats, or coating the whole thing with sealant of some sort. The resulting change in weight would be near impossable to calculate, affecting the float setting/fuel level.
                    I would recommend using finger nail polish to just seal the hole. This is the recommended sealer when doing carb work on Briggs and Stratton engines, dissolvable only by acetone.
                    I chose a bright red, as it goes with my shoes and handbag!
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                    X