Missing a gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing a gear

I just bought a 79 XS1100 this weekend and I found though it runs great, it only has 4 gears. I need a little help trying to figure out which one has gone south. I think it's 5th, but not one hundred percent sure. On the highway, it seems like all the ratios are correct (no one gear seems to lag as I shift through) and it is turning about 5000 rpm at around 60 in the top gear I can hit. It's running about 5000 rpm at 50 MPH in the 3rd gear I can hit. What should the rpms be in fifth at around 60? My theory is I am either missing 3rd or 5th and leaning towards fifth. Any suggestions?
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

I think I figured it out. Went to the specs page and found the gear ratios for a 79 F and 5000 rpm works out to around 65. I'm certain 5th is missing. I saw a bit in the tech tips about the shifting dowels causing 5th to disappear. I hope it's that simple. Can't wait to get home and see.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Well... can't be third. Bike can only shift in sequence. Can't get to fourth without hitting third on the way.
      Shift pattern is 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or as printed on the case cover:1N2345.
      Put the bike on the centerstand in neutral. (rear tire should spin) Drop it down into 1st(tire no spin) Half click up to neutral(spins again) Up again for 2nd and try to spin(locked in second) then up again for 3rd, 4th, and 5th(locking each time) They should all be there.
      This can be done with the engine running, as well.(at idle speed... don't want to be chasin' the bike down the road should it bounce offa the centerstand.)
      Only other option for your "4 speed" is that something's jammed up in the tranny preventing 5th gear from engaging, but the above test should rule that out.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

sounds like 5th- mine spins about 4000 rpm at 60-65 in 5th and 5000 same speed in 4th.

Comment

Working...
        X