mid/final drive lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parr8hed
    a cap or a final drive? I hate to try and get another cap out of another drive!!!! I hate even worse to buy a whole drive when I only need a cap.
    A final drive unit from a 78

Comment

thanks TC, will try that tommorow. I found a great way to fill the middle and final drives with lube. got a 60 cc syringe from work with a big fat tip for hooking up to gastric tubes and squirted the stuff on in. Strange findings though, the final drive lube was black, smelled horrible no metal shavings. I expected that. The mid drive looked and smelled almost brand new? I know that the PO had never changed it, and I know that I never had. I expected it to be much worse. I was doing all of this to chase down a weird sound that I was getting under heavy acceleration, and to get the bike ready for the winter ( am going to TRY and ride year round). The sound ended up being the header pipe a little loose at the front (i hope that is what I was hearing) Oh well at least I have changed the oil, lube and plugs and got new tires. Now just need to upgrade the suspension........
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

A turkey baster works well too and is perhaps a bit more available to us mere mortals.

Steve
        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
        Norton Electra - future restore
        CZ 400 MX'er
        68 Ducati Scrambler
        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
        X