Fuel Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Question

On my 79 1100F there is a little pipe coming out of the end of the tank, right above the bottom edge, extends out about 1" or so. I just got the Clymers for it but don't see it there or on the Yamaha Parts Fiche. It has a little raised area on the end of it, looks like it designed for a hose to go over it.

What does it do and what is connected to it?

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

drain

When it rains, water collects in the depression that your gas cap sits in. There is a pipe that runs from the gas cap area, (through the inside of your tank) that allows that water to drain so it doesn't collect and rust up there.
    Sometimes when it's hot out and I overfill my tank, as the gas warms and expands when the bike is on the sidestand, it pushes past the rubber gasket on the cap, and will drain out that tube, too.
    Just put an old piece of fuel line on it and route in down somewhere under the bike(like your battery overflow vent tube), so that it doesn't make a mess on your tranny when it drains.

Speaking of battery vent tubes, make sure that you have one. The XS850 that I just got running for my brother sat in my shed for several years without one. The battery's vent was just above the area where all the wiring connectors are located. I don't want to tell you what they all looked like before I had to take them apart and clean them!
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: drain

Originally posted by prometheus578

Speaking of battery vent tubes, make sure that you have one. The XS850 that I just got running for my brother sat in my shed for several years without one. The battery's vent was just above the area where all the wiring connectors are located. I don't want to tell you what they all looked like before I had to take them apart and clean them!
      Or buy a sealed battery with no vent, overflow, corrosion.
      I put one in my E and it's sat most of the summer (riding the LG). I went out and started it after sitting 2 months and there was no hesitation. The bike started almost before I touched the started button.
      It's still not running right but I'm under orders by SWMBO that I can't work on either bike until I've fixed my truck (pull the engine and replace the crankshaft/bearings).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Maybe it's the wife that's "cranky" and needs replacement?
        (I'd put one of those smiley faces here, but I don't know how to do it)
        Nice having a chevy where I can drop the oilpan, unbolt the caps and just use the new bearings to push the old ones out of place.
        Yeah, my throwout bearing's startin' to whine... and my garage is full o' bikes. Looks like another lie on my back in the driveway clutch job before the winter rains hit.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks guys. Another thing to check off my lonnggggg list.

Jack
          82 XJ100J Gone
          83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Working...
          X