how do you tell the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you tell the difference

between the diffferent models? i have an 81 something. i believe it is an h model. how can i differentiate?

thanks

write down the vin and call a yamy dealer thats what I did
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Assuming it hasn't changed much from stock, if it's got a round headlight, sigs and instruments, a leading axle fork and streamlined tank it's a Special (XS1100SH). If it's got rectangular headlight, sigs and instruments, a straight fork and big squared-off tank it's a Standard (XS1100H). "Standard" isn't an official Yamaha term, it's just what we call it to distinguish it from a "Special" which is an official Yamaha term for a "factory custom" which has evolved into today's "cruiser".
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

go to the search on the left side of the page and key in Serial Number & Model Identification. It will take you to a thread that has all the info you need to determine you bike model.
        Do'Lee
        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Working...
        X