just put my first 20 miles on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just put my first 20 miles on

just picked up an 81 xs1100 for $1015. rode it today and was so shocked at how comfy and powerful it was. my last bike was a v30 500 magna about 6 years ago. after 500 feet i felt perfectly at home. i love being able to chug around in 5th at 40 mpg and pull cleanly away too. never had a liter bike. i will put up pics tomorrow.

Hey there AllisonMo2,

Welcome to the world of Xsives! Glad you are enjoying your new ride. However, you really probably shouldn't chug it around in 5th at 40mph!! These machines aren't Harleys, you may have noticed that the RPM redline is way up at 8.5k! These engines like to run. The power band starts to kick in at around 3.5k, and the throttle response is much quicker when you keep the rpms above that level. Also better for the engine, less chance of "LUGGING" the engine......not good! I've barely gotten out of FIRST at 40mph!! Looking forward to the photos!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i'm confused 40mpg or mph?
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

yeah i meant 40 mph. may not be the best for it but it is nice compared to the little 500.

what kind of rpm's should i be turning in 5th at 70 mph?

4k?
        6k?
        5k?

Comment

IIRC, 70 mph should put you somewere around 4500 rpm. Somewhere here on the forum there's a post that lists the various rpm/mph rates in the various gears...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

man it's hard to post photos here right from my harddrive.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...550#post271550

Let's try this:

Okay, that didn't work, so now you know that the 3wheeler forum doesn't allow direct linking to their photos. You need to get photodump or photobucket account, and then you'll be able to post to those stored photos easily!! T.C.

Comment

Working...
            X