Wiring harness Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring harness Woes

So i fried my aring harness, got a replacement from ebay (2, actually, which was a good idea since 1 was near death), and started putting the new one on my SG.

Seems this harness is off a Standard of some kinda (Based on comparisions to my standard). I really did not thnk they would be all that different, but, at least on the back, they are.

How hard will this be to make work? Will there be plug and wire issues for the whooe bike, or only the rear? Should I just go looking for an SG harness?

Thanks (I did a search, but didn't find anything. The ebay auction did not say which bike the harness was from)

Andy
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

The SG is probably the same, or very close, to the Vetter. I know Pacifico built the Yamaha fairings, but the wire harness should be close. There was a thread that has the wire diagram if you do a search. It should be easy to build a new one, or get the one you have working.
    If you cannot find the diagram, do a google search on Vetter. His home page has links to a LOT of information on the older fairings.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

that web site was dave hogue's...

Originally posted by DiverRay
      The SG is probably the same, or very close, to the Vetter. I know Pacifico built the Yamaha fairings, but the wire harness should be close. There was a thread that has the wire diagram if you do a search. It should be easy to build a new one, or get the one you have working.
      If you cannot find the diagram, do a google search on Vetter. His home page has links to a LOT of information on the older fairings.
      Ray
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Was it the harness for a fairing or the bike that you let the smoke out of? If it was the bike, and there are connector issues, you can remove each wire terminal from the plastic shells, and set them into the shell that will match up with the existing connector.

Comment

Originally posted by John
          Was it the harness for a fairing or the bike that you let the smoke out of? If it was the bike, and there are connector issues, you can remove each wire terminal from the plastic shells, and set them into the shell that will match up with the existing connector.
          It was the bike harness that went bad. The issue seems to be some of the connectorare are differnt, or missing, and the wiring scheme seems to be different.

Before I start cutting, I was wondering if anyone knew how much converstion I would have to do. Would it be a major Pain, or not so bad? I do have a line on another wiring harness from a special, so I an wondering if that would just be easier.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I put a standard model front end on my special when I built the Mongrel. I did a lot of custting a splicing to get everything to work.

Also this was before I started importing electrical connectors. It would be an easier job for me now...

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Part numbers and stuff

I have found a new wiring harness for a SH, while my bike is an SG, will this work? The part number is the same except the prefix (Mine is 3J6, the SH is 4R0).

Andy

Comment

Working...
              X