Needles and seats for an xj1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needles and seats for an xj1100

will these needles and seats fit the xj1100? they are listed on Mikesxs.com and he sells xs650 parts, Ive read here that alot of the parts exchange for the xs 11, what about the xj 11?

https://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-fuel...ategory_id=4.2

Carb Float Valve (Needle & Seat) - Push in type with O-Ring seal, needle & clip.
    Fits: XS650G/H/SH/SJ/SK/SL (1980-84) stock Mikuni BS34 CV carbs.

Part #48-1445 $10.00US EA.
    Last edited by xj11john; 09-12-2005, 01:44 PM.
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

part #

Yamaha part # is

3L1-14190-20-00
    NEEDLE VALVE ASS'Y

Mikes is the only one so far I have found with the needle and seat sold as a set reasonably, anyone know other sources if they wont fit? and if the will fit let me know, thanks in advance.
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Talking to myself again

They'll fit just did a comparison on Yamaha parts page and the same part # is for both assmbly, thanks all anyway,
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Gotta love ol' Yama Mama's parts page. It's amazing what parts are interchangable.

Comment

Too true

Yeah that thing is handy,

Just got back in from the carbs, took out needles and seats, O-rings were dry rotted, and cracking, and as I said earlier, the needles were grooved.

Ran down to NAPA and matched the o-rings to 4 valve stem seals, put em in and seemed to have sealed fine,

then I came back in and just ordered the needles from mikes xs so maybe by thursday I'll have em.

Then back together it goes with your way of using just one petcock, I think that way there wont be so much pressure on the poor needles as well (maybe just a pipe dream), but I will turn it off the petcock each time just in case.

Anyway John (good name by the way) Thanks for all the help.
          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Where do you get the little screens for the seats at? I didn't see that on mikesxs?
            Thanks
            Greg
            will these needles and seats fit the xj1100? they are listed on Mikesxs.com and he sells xs650 parts, Ive read here that alot of the parts exchange for the xs 11, what about the xj 11?
            XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Comment

valve seals

xj11john what was the number for the valve stem seals that you got from napa? would save some time without going through all of their seals. thanks

82 XJ1100 DAILY RIDE AHAMAY
              Thanks Tom
              82 XJ DAILY RIDE
              78 XS1100E FIXING UP
              79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
              79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
              80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
              82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Xsive,

If you need new screens you may have to either go to the dealer and get em (any shop that carries yamaha parts) or get a carb kit

COOL TOM,

I just took the seat with me, and tried on a few, they have em in a compatment box, was no problem.

Make sure and not get some that are too fat, they wont fit down in the hole. (Kaw shop gave my bro-in-law some like this and we had to go back up there and change em out. (even dealer didnt match it up good without the seat)

good luck.
                '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

valve stem seals

Well here it is May of 2010, reviving this thread, kind of an udate I guess, and maybe a warning not to use valve stem seals for needle valve seat seals.

The last time I had my carbs off I checked these seals/o-rings, and the rubber was flaking off, I'm thinking not so impermiable to gas, but it kinda makes sence - now that I think about it since they really just have oil around them and not fuel. I must have been confused at the time thinking they were in contact with fuel, the exahust side my have seen some vaporized fuel, well burnt fuel that is, but not accual liquid gasoline.

Oh well live and learn I guess , On the bright side- if there is one, at least I can update here and maybe someone will see this and not make the mistake I made.
                  then again, the 0-rings were a bit tight and maybe that added to the degredation??
                  anyway I would not recommend my quick fix of running down to your local auto parts chain and just getting valve stem seal.

So it looks like I need to find some seat-seals/o-rings, anyone have a good source, I've googled it and only find it with the seat, I would like to just replace the o-rings if possible (Cause I'm CHEAP!) Thanks in advance.
                  '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

You could just get some more cheap one. how long did they last, 5 years?! How many were you expecting to get out of them? The ethanol in the gas is harsh on o-rings, IMO if they lasted 5 years your lucky and made a good investment.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

There is a guy on the XJBikes.com forum. His screen name is "Chacal" (real name Len) "XJ4Ever" is the vendor name. He has a lot of hard to find parts for the XJ. He comes highly recommended by everyone on that forum. I myself have also ordered from him with good results.The O-rings you need to be exact. Fast shipping and reasonable prices. I don't think you have to be a member to order. He also accepts paypal. Not sure about other payment methods.
                      Rob
                      82 XJ1100
                      Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
                      Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

I'm confused. (As normal)

A valve stem seal is made mostly of metal with a rubber collar built into it and looks nothing like an O-ring. The needle seats use just an O-ring. If you go to the store and buy Viton O-rings, they'll work fine in fuel on your carbs. If you go to Partsnmore.com and look at the XS1100, you can buy the seats/needles from them. The XJ's are the same as the ones listed for the 80-81 XS.

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by xj11john View Post
                          So it looks like I need to find some seat-seals/o-rings, anyone have a good source, I've googled it and only find it with the seat, I would like to just replace the o-rings if possible (Cause I'm CHEAP!) Thanks in advance.
                          John, like I said in your other post, PM me with your address and I will send you the proper O-rings at no charge.

Larry
                          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                          82 XJ1100
                          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                          64 Yamaha YA-6
                          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            I'm confused. (As normal)

A valve stem seal is made mostly of metal with a rubber collar built into it and looks nothing like an O-ring. The needle seats use just an O-ring. If you go to the store and buy Viton O-rings, they'll work fine in fuel on your carbs. If you go to Partsnmore.com and look at the XS1100, you can buy the seats/needles from them. The XJ's are the same as the ones listed for the 80-81 XS.

Tod
                            Tod,
                            You maybe right, they were'rt valve stem seals, they were just seals out of an assortment box, ends up they were just alittle too fat and one was just kinda sluffing off some of its rubber.

I ended up going to the yammi dealer yesterday and of course all they had was an assortment, so I inverably chose the size up too big of a size (since I didnt bring the seat-I was riding the bike)

So back at the ranch.. (JK) I just cleaned these same ones from NAPA up and put them back in, seem fine today (although one seemed alittle loose, some were tighter-and the one flaking alittle too tight) (I'll replace them next time I have the carbs off. so someone must have done some honing on some of them due to scratches I guess.

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            You could just get some more cheap one. how long did they last, 5 years?! How many were you expecting to get out of them? The ethanol in the gas is harsh on o-rings, IMO if they lasted 5 years your lucky and made a good investment.
                            The orings for the most part were still ok, though the fact that I was not anywhere near any place to get any more may have made me more hopeful about then I should have been. But as I said it is running good for now, if they start causeing trouble I'll just pull my carbs again, this time with the right o-rings, and possible the new seats attached <best idea.

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                            John, like I said in your other post, PM me with your address and I will send you the proper O-rings at no charge.

Larry
                            Thanks Larry, I may just take you up on that later if I dont have the $ for both seats and 0-ring combos. I appreciate your generosity!

And thanks XJRob, for the info, I appreciate your reply.

Thanks all, and have some great weather and fun riding!

Anyway after cleaning carbs, and running some sea-foam through her all is running smooth.

Other that some engine noise, all is well. I adjusted time chain tensioner, but didnt seem to make a click, so either was close to adjusted or some other reason for noisey engine. I hope I dont need a new timing chain, just replaced leaky half moon gaskets and valve cover gasket, end of last season:

I gues I'll see how it goes, anyone with a sure fire way of knowing I need a new timing chain, or would it be really easy to know (like tons of noise) I really dont have a ton of noise, just a constant ticking and general annoying top end noise, I know some noise is normal as per the search on here, any comments/suggestions welcome, and thanks for all you XSives do.

Peace,
                            '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

As per the noisey engine, I did check, and I do have the vacuum advance on the # 2 carb body and not the intake boot.

Also I have indiv. Partsnmore XS filters (very nice I might add for you XS'ers they have XS stamped on the crome part), Four into Two exhaust-off a gold-wing i think, and upped jet sizes per chart for indy filters and exhaust without much baffle.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Keep the shiney side up!
                              '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                              X