Tanks bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanks bags

Of you out there that use tank bags, which do you find works best on the XS11. Magnetic or strap on. Im in the market for one now and am going to buy one before TeXSive.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Wayne, like you, I'd like to purchase a tank bag also. The only feed-back I have is on the strap on type. According to an old post on the now deceased yahoo XS11 group, there is a danger of cinching the strap-on types too tight and breaking/cracking the Yamaha tank emblems. Even so, I'm afraid the magnetic bags would result in more scratches to the tank. Like you, I'm interested in some first hand experiences also.
    Greg C.
    1980 XS1100-G

Comment

I use a strap-on tank bag. It has two straps that go around the steering head in front and one strap that goes around the tank mount in the rear.

My tank bag does not get anywhere near the tank emblems.

I tried a magnetic, but did not like the way it moved around.

When refueling, the tank bag needs to be removed. The magnetic bag was very ackward, wanting to stick to the tank and not move out of the way. My strap-on simply unclips from the front two straps and slides back into my lap.

That's my $0.02
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

I don't have first hand experince on tank bags, but a friend at work has a Yamaha R6 and uses a tank bag and loves it. The bag has not scratched the paint, there is a protective pad on the bag and the magnets are strong enough to keep the bag from moving around even at high speeds. He said I could use it sometime to try out but I haven't as of yet.
        Gary
        79sf
        78e

Comment

I bought a magnetic tank bag to use on my 3,000 Big Island Deuce trip. The bag has several magnets on the bottom and the side 'flaps'. It also has a strap that wraps around a frame membe at the front that clips to the bag for "just in case". It also has a strap that goes under the tank at the rear but I've never used it. The strap at the front was loose (not pertinant to holding the bag on) and had to be unclipped for refeuling. The whole trip the bag didn't move at all. My wife uses my bag on her XL250 with not straps at all and she's had no problems (but I wish she'd get her own bag). I hope this helps.

ps. My bike needs to be painted so I can't verify scratches
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I enterd a raffel and won a magnetic tank bag that converts to saddel bags. The magnets did not damage paint. I hav'nt tried them as saddle bags yet. I did not get the directions - I seems to simple to just put them under the seat. Any Ideas?

Melody
            Melody 79" XS11

Comment

I like my magnetic bag, it is a nice Chase-Harper, and on a standard it does not have to be removed to fill up with gas. I have used it on all my bikes. If I am going to have it on for a long trip I cover the tank with clear shelf paper, so the constand rubbing and removing to fill up (on a special or my B12 or Trophy) does not damage the paint. If I use it around here I do not work about the paint. What scratches the paint is not the bag, but the sand and dirt that get under it as you drive.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Tank Bags

I too bought a tank bag for the Big Island Deuce trip. It was a Teknics bag with heavy magnets. The flaps that the magnets are on did not fit around the sides of the tank so I folded them under the bag. Thaat way the leather pouch the magets were in had the leather on the tank. I have no scratches and the magnets held the bag in place very well. No movement at all. I was very happy.
                It does have a safety strap to put around the handle bar but I used it but it was not necessary. Just a precaution.
                Don Hughes
                Ex-1978 E
                Ex-1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
                1991 Yamaha Venture Royale
                1990 Honda Goldwing
                Edmonton

Comment

Tank Bag

Morning campers.....

I never got to ride "The Tardis" with a tank bag, probably cos I never rode the kms on it in "one go"....however with Beryl Beemer I purchased a tankbag from www.rka-luggage.com (along with the inner bags for Beryl) which works out very well. The tankbag is a "strap on" (now why do you roll your eyes at that phrase?????) which has some "sherpa" wool on the underside of the bag itself. similarly there is also this very soft wool where the strap goes around the "radio head" and where the other anchor point clips to a strap around the rider seat front hinge. Threre is a lso a velcroed map section on the top of the bag...the clear window is a little on the small size though for getting a good map view. The Tankbag can easily be removed by just unfastening the quick release strap by the rider seat

They also make an expandable bag for Beryl but this mini version is great for camera, mobile phone, glasses (specs not drinking vessels), sweets/toffees, intercom system unit.

Perhaps this should really be in the product evaluation section?????

cheers

Phill

Comment

Working...
                  X