Mike's levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's levers

Anyone know if Mike's XS clutch and brake levers for 650's will fit 80SG? Parts 08-0111 and 08-0028. I think so but it's not real clear
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Forgot to ask if xsessive up and down play in the clutch lever indicates a worn hole in the lever (for which a new one would remedy) or would the slop originate elsewhere? Thanks!
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

I've just swapped out my LG clutch lever for an EMGO one (EMGO part #30-51222 'high gloss black'). My original had worn an oval shape where the cable fitted.

The "up and down" play was still there after fitting the new lever and seemed to be due to the width of the gap into which the lever is bolted.

A quick squeeze with some (cloth wrapped!) bull nose pliers and now no 'looseness'.
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Hi Lamric, I had also already pinched that gap together. It helped a little (probably could go a little further) but it still seemed that another spot may be a bigger contributor to the looseness. Guess I should disassemble a bit and look for oval holes or maybe a worn bolt?
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

I'll put my money on a worn lever. The bolt is steel, much harder than the lever, which is aluminum. If you can't tighten it up any more by pinching the mount, disconnect the cable and look for oversize hole in the lever. While you have it apart, you may want to grease it and lube the cable.
          80 G "The Beast"
          81 H "The Dresser"
          79 XS650 II
          82 650 Maxim
          70 DT-1 Enduro
          66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
          96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

I agree. My bolt was fine, not much wear in the lever pivot hole that I could see - but then it wouldn't need much to wobble about. However, even my new lever wobbled until I used the pliers.
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I believe Mikes clutch and brake levers will work, the levers on my XS1100SF seem to be the same as my 650s' levers. What I'm now wondering is if the XS-1 brake cable will work on my XS400SJ's drum front brake.
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
              XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X