New regulator/rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New regulator/rectifier

I’m satisfied with performance of my replacement units and I’m putting them in production. Right now I’m waiting on parts from all my suppliers. The mounting plates are out being sheared to size and I’m waiting for a semiconductor order. All should be in my hands by Thursday or Friday of this week and I will be putting them together ASAP.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...s/VRR3xs-1.JPG
    http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...s/VRR3xs-2.JPG
    http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html

I left the wires a bit long because they come out the end rather than the side and will need to be wrapped around.

Opinions and comments welcome (as if I could stop you…) As I offered earlier, there is a $10 discount to XS11 club/list/forum members. However you have to eMail me and ask for it.

Geezer
    Last edited by Geezer; 09-05-2005, 01:38 PM.
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Got mine...I love it.

FWIW...I got one of Tony's Rec/Reg assemblies in the mail on Friday. Put it on the bike (82 XJ11) on Saturday and haven't missed a chance to ride the bike since. Tony told me before I received the part that the factory wiring on the XJ was different than the XS...the wires all do the same things, but the connectors are different. Anyway, it took me 10 minutes to cut the connectors off and re-attach my connectors. As far as form, fit, and function...it's a WINNER!!!

The lights are brighter, my horn is louder and more consistant. I'm getting 14.0 V across the battery at 2K RPM. And, for the money (and with a lifetime of the bike guarantee) it can't be beat.

Tony, you da man!!!

Robert
    XJ1100 - Stock
    XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Thanx for the feedback and I'm glad you like it. I had the same results with the first one on my bike.

Anyway I'm looking to find an old and dead XJ1100 reg/rec unit so I can duplicate the connectors on it. It's stupid that Yamha changed the connectors for no good reason. Otherwise it's the same unit.

Geezer

Comment

Looks like I might be needing one. I am picking up a 79 XS1100F tomorrow (actually I am having it towed to my house). Its going to be a project bike to go with my other 2. PO said the rectifier went out but I don't really have a clue as to why she won't run yet.

After I check her out I will let you know.

Jack
        82 XJ100J Gone
        83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

No worries, the club discount is good through the end of the year. I'm working on a prodction run now and I should have several more made up than are on order.

I also need to put one of the nicer looking production models on my bike but then, who looks under the tank anyway.

Geezer

Comment

Geezer, it sounds like you have a good product. Do you know what the "break-even" engine rpms are with stalk headlight on low beam (voltage stays constant across the battery at 12.5 volts or so).

Originally posted by Geezer
            No worries, the club discount is good through the end of the year. I'm working on a prodction run now and I should have several more made up than are on order.

I also need to put one of the nicer looking production models on my bike but then, who looks under the tank anyway.

Geezer
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

geezer

i have an xstra volt reg from an xj,don't know if that was my prob or not.it's yours if ya want it to make a templet out of it?
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                Geezer, it sounds like you have a good product. Do you know what the "break-even" engine rpms are with stalk headlight on low beam (voltage stays constant across the battery at 12.5 volts or so).
                This unit delivers full charging at 1500 RPM (and all the way up...)

Geezer

Comment

Re: geezer

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                  i have an xstra volt reg from an xj,don't know if that was my prob or not.it's yours if ya want it to make a templet out of it?
                  Thanks for the offer, this would really help me and other XSers. If you'd like, I'd be happy to make my templet and then ship it back. Contact me by PM or from the link on my website and we can work out the details.

Geezer

Comment

So what's the difference between your unit and Yamaha's? You said it actually charges better and I've got an XJ with the LCD display getting dimmer and dimmer. If I'm not mistaken, the headlight is getting dimmer along with it.

The battery doesn't seem to be charging when on the bike and I have to push-start it after the first 5 or 6 pushes of the starter button. I'm thinking that I should replace the battery because it's been at too low a charge for way too long. It didn't get ridden for about 9 months and the battery was dead when I went to start it up. It was disconnected and still losing charge! It took 3 days on a trickle charger before it appeared to hold a charge again.

Any more discount when you buy 2 at a time? I've got an XS at home with too many brake lights and not enough juice. (Brake lights installed on the saddle bags make the headlight dim noticeably.)

Thanks,
                    Jon

'82 XJ1100J-John
                    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

My unit is of my design and well, it's just different. It bolts down the same and on the XS11 (not the XJ) the plugs are the same too.

I agree your battery is probably bad but you may also have a charging system problem. Before buying any parts, clean all the electrical terminals in the charging system and coat them with dielectric grease. Weak charging usually isn't caused by bad windings but it wouldn't hurt to test them anyway. Use the link in the beginning of this discussion to my website and check out my FAQ page. I'm sure you'll find some of the articles helpful.

I'm giving club members $10 off per unit no matter how many you need. I can't afford to let them go for any less. On the other hand, I will ship 2 for the same postage as one.

Geezer

Originally posted by Hepcat
                      So what's the difference between your unit and Yamaha's? You said it actually charges better and I've got an XJ with the LCD display getting dimmer and dimmer. If I'm not mistaken, the headlight is getting dimmer along with it.

The battery doesn't seem to be charging when on the bike and I have to push-start it after the first 5 or 6 pushes of the starter button. I'm thinking that I should replace the battery because it's been at too low a charge for way too long. It didn't get ridden for about 9 months and the battery was dead when I went to start it up. It was disconnected and still losing charge! It took 3 days on a trickle charger before it appeared to hold a charge again.

Any more discount when you buy 2 at a time? I've got an XS at home with too many brake lights and not enough juice. (Brake lights installed on the saddle bags make the headlight dim noticeably.)

Thanks,
                      Jon

Comment

Hey Geezer,
                        My bike is in need of your Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. I've emailed you on it.
                        Do'Lee
                        Do'Lee
                        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Working...
                        X