Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Carburetor Parts

1981XS1100SH

I finally pulled the carburetors to clean them today, but before I disassemble them any further I wanted to check and see if I am missing parts. I have looked through the carb posts on this site and reviewed both my Haynes and Yamaha service manuals; all of the photos that I have seen show additional parts. The circle on the linked photo highlights the area of concern. My service manual doesn't specifically call out the missing piece, but the Haynes manual calls out for the removal of a "blanking plug and washer" to expose the pilot jet. If I am following this correctly, I am missing the "blanking plug and washer". Are these parts that I need to try to replace or am reading more into the disassembly procedures?

1981 XS1100SH - My first Bike!!

The Yahoo photo link didn't work; so here is my second attempt at attaching the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]
    1981 XS1100SH - My first Bike!!

Comment

Hey there 81XS11LadyRider,

What you're reading about are pilot plugs for the earlier 78-79 models, where the pilot jets get their fuel flow THRU the main jets. The newer 80-81 models don't have that supply port on the main jet tube, so the pilot gets it's supply directly from the bowl, SO..it should NOT be plugged. This is also why the mains are much smaller than the earlier models, cause they don't need to feed the pilot circuit, it feeds itself! You're doing fine!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X