Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 1100 special **noises**

HELP!!]

1980 XS1100 special. 56,000 kilometers on it!!
    Bike has been running perfectly all summer UNTIL it started emanating strange noises!! Have read and re read all postings regarding cam chain noise, etc. Appears that my adjuster is at its limit which would indicate cam chain should be replaced.

However, the noises I am getting are quite intermittant. I can ride for a few kms, and then get a very audible valve type noise. When I drop the revs and then resume speed, noise totally disappears. some times the noise will have a different pitch and volume. (sometimes almost a clatter) Removed cam cover and all 'appears' well. Could it be whatever the cam chain is riding against has failed?? Rubber on bridge between cams is somewhat grooved, but appears ok. Compression 90-100 psi cold across the board.

Motor pulls very strong and smoothe at ALL times??
    Did the "black and decker" 2nd gear fix last winter with the results a resounding success!! Nary a skip since.

Any input will be "taken under advisement"

Excellent forum and web page by the way!!

Ducky
    1977 Yamaha 750 triple
    1980 Xs1100 Special
    I have the time:
    Just no Money!!

Sounds more to me like your cam chain slack adjuster is slipping, not necessarily at its limit of adjustment. It has probably been overtorqued just a bit too much somewhere along the way, so the aluminum threads in the body of the adjuster are on the verge of pulling competely out. This is a very easy helicoil fix.

Great to see another British Columbian on the list. There's a fair contingent of XSives on the Island - lots of good expertise not too far from you. BTW, I bought Black Ice from a guy in Parksville a few years back!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Ducky,

Seeing you're an Auto tech, and have done the 2nd gear fix, then you're no novice to this bike!! However, aside from searching for Cam Chain noises, did you search for other noises?

Folks have had clattering type noises from a variety of situations, like the vacuum advance hose being connected to the Synch port instead of the #2 smaller carb body metal port? Also, lower revs could cause lower oil pressures to the top end? Also, lower octanes could cause pinging noises at low rpms/high loads?! Just trying to offer other ideas, although Ken's is a good one!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response to my questions, guys!!

I should add that these noises started quite suddenly.

Checked tensioner and it is holding its locked position, however is at the end of its travel. Noticed that the cam chain has a slack spot, but this is NOT on the "C" on the timing mark. 8-10 degrees further on??? On the factory "C" the tension on the bridge is quite tight.

Is there a good reliable firm to order parts from that anyone knows about?? (Canada) My local dealer, although marginally trying to help is quite a lost cause. They want to sell me a new ride, but they all look like Harley's. (whatever happened to the road cruisers --like the xs 1100 for example)

I wish to explore all varieties of possibilities before initiating a tear down.

Again thanks for the quick responses

Ducky
        1977 Yamaha 750 triple
        1980 Xs1100 Special
        I have the time:
        Just no Money!!

Comment

Working...
        X