78E Low RPM power gone & rough idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78E Low RPM power gone & rough idle

I remember this being discussed years ago, but can't find the threads and do not remember what the solution is....anyways.....

Bike has been running great for last couple a years, then left it sit for about a month. Now suddenly it acts like it's cold all the time and won't pull at low rpm even when warmed up. If the choke is on it pulls off the line a lot better and past 3000 RPM it still pulls like a horse. (Passed 100mph in 4th and still pulling hard) The idle now seems rough and when rolling down the hiway and let off throttle the dam thing pops and sorta backfires as it's slowing down (jardine 4 in 2 never did that before).

I bought the bike new in 78 (64K miles) and don't remember ever being into the carbs and it's been a long time since valves were ground. Does this sound like the dreaded pickup wire under the right case or am I looking at a plugged carb passage or some other carb problem?

Jeez, I hate the thought of taking it to a dealer but ain't too anxious to get into the carbs.

Anyone been thru this and/or have some advice?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Hey Bob,

Yep, sure sounds like your pilot circuits got clogged up due to sitting, the gas gummed up some passages. Pulling the carbs shouldn't bother you too much...being an Engineer!!

You can get a set of float bowl gaskets, and leave the carbs attached to the bank mounting bracket. First remove the pilot SCREWS from the top front of each carb. Then, turn them over, pull the bowls, you'll probably find lots of crud in them!! Unscrew the pilot jet cap screws, and then get a good fitting narrow straight screw driver, and remove the pilot jets, soak them in cleaner, spray into the pilot jet hole and ensure you see it coming out the front pilot screw hole, then put your finger over that hole, and it should spray out thru the little holes in the carb throat just below where the pilot screw fits!!

Then put it all back together, lightly seat the pilot screws, and then back them out 1 1/4 turns, put the carbs back on the bike and you should be good to go. As long as you don't move the synch screws, you won't be out of synch hardly at all!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X