Another Cam Chain Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Cam Chain Thread

So, I am riding home this afternoon when all of a sudden this strange noise starts coming from the engine area. Couldn't exactly determine where. It seemed to get very noisy and then would almost go away and then back noisy. Stopped but couldn't find anything obvious. The noise sounded sorta like a bicycle chain riding wrong on the sprocket. I didn't notice any loss of power when accelerating or any noise when pulling in the clutch and coasting.

Anyway, I made it home and then looked on the old posts here about cam chain adjustments, printed it out and went outside and did it. I didn't notice the plug move when I backed off the nut and bolt though.

By that time it was dark so I couldn't test it, will do it tomorrow morning.

I did notice that the cover I removed on the side of the engine had a gasket but it came right off. I didn't replace the gasket, just put the side cover on but now am wondering if I should have used some permatex or something like that.

Also, does that type of noise sound like a cam chain problem?

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Hey JackSF,

The "Plug" doesn't move, but the plunger inside the adjusting housing does move, or at least it should!

I'm assuming you removed the LEFT side cover for turning the engine over with a wrench for the cam chain adjustment!? That gasket is more of a dust gasket, and helps to take up vibrations, and compresses a little to help keep the 4 bolts tight! You don't need to put any sealant on it!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yep, had to put on my "specs" to see the mark and the "C" but it was really easy. Guess its all ready to try out tomorrow. I was surprised since the ol' gal only has 26k on her and always ridden easy. Hope it was just an adjustment needed. If not...oh well, I will be doing a replacement before I get into the carbs and valves

Thanks a lot T.C., as usual.

Jack
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Took it out for a test ride this morning, all seems well, noise seems to be gone.

BUT (you knew that was coming) there is a new noise, not very noticible unless you get right down next to the left side of the engine, under the air box. I can't describe it, its just one of those things that doesn't sound normal. As close as I would guess would be between the tranny and drive shaft but as I said, I can't fault the way she is running right now and can't feel anything wrong.

I will just keep listening and waiting for something to go KA-BOOM

Jack
        82 XJ100J Gone
        83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Hey JackSF,

Down in that area is the Middle Gear, you don't want to wait until it goes BOOM!!! Best to check it to ensure that you have enough oil in there, 'cause if it gets dry, it can seize, not fun at 60+ mph!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

I just changed the oil a week or so ago. Is there something that won't allow oil to get into that area? I admit I haven't used the middle drain plug in the past, assuming from other posts I have read that its not critical. Should I pop that plug just to make sure?

Jack
            82 XJ100J Gone
            83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

The middle drive unit is totally separate from the crankcase - it has its own filler and drain plug. Yes, pop the drain plug, make yourself a dipstick following instructions from the tech tips, and check the condition and level of the fluid.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Jack, Jack, Jack.....,

I don't know what threads you've been reading, but the middle drive section is filled with an 80-90wt hypoid gear oil for the differential style set of gears in there necessary for transferring the rotational forces rearward and 90 degrees offset!

It holds around 300 cc's. They have been known to develop a slow leak, and if they get dried out, they burn up the bearings, and then can lock up at the most inoportune moment!

Please tell us that you've checked your FINAL drive unit, the one on the rear wheel?!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Its amazing how much I have forgotten over the years. I totally forgot about the middle drive oil. Its probably dry as a bone right now. That will be my very first thing in the morning.

I think my reference was for my 750 not the 1100 but I didn't realize it.

Thanks to both of you for reminding me of this. In fact I am going down to the basement right now and check it.

Jack
                  82 XJ100J Gone
                  83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Thankfully it wasn't totally dry. I still have the original plastic stick that came with my tool kit. I was going to add oil but decided that I would wait and drain whats in there tomorrow and refill with fresh. I'm surprised it only takes less than a pint of oil, .40 qt. That way I will be sure of how much is in there.

Thanks again to both of you for reminding me of this. I am going to sit down with the manual tomorrow and go over all the recommended maintenance items to make sure I haven't forgotten something else.

Jack
                    82 XJ100J Gone
                    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

I just realized how pitiful my life has become.

Here it is, Saturday night, and I am working on a motorcycle in my basement.

Wonder what happened to the ol "Stud Muffin"
                      82 XJ100J Gone
                      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

The ole' Stud found better things to do then chase women.... remember the bike does get mad when you just take off on it for hours ...lol
                        Shawn
                        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                        78 XS1100E Parts
                        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Hey StudMuffin,

Don't you know that for many people, the XS11 ..IS... the most exciting thing you can put between your legs!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                          X