Ignition Key Swtich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Key Swtich

So, continuing to work on my special, I have removed the key switch, and checked the solder. All seems good, but the copper was a bit corroded, and I cleaned it up. After this, turning the key caused the dash to light up, but as soon as i hit the "Start" button, the lights went out again, and it was as if I hadn't done anything.

The fuses are all good.

The Red wire is hot, and will test positive to all but the red/yellow wire. The copper plates inside the switch for the red/yellow wire are also dead according to my volt-o-meter, but I am not sure if any of this is normal.

Help?

I hate electical issues. Why can't everything be fixed with an oil change?
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Hey there Pain,

The red/yellow wire just goes to the Emergency Flasher circuit! It should have power with the key in OFF as well as ON or Park, but NOT LOCK! The Yellow provides the power for the rest of the fuse block, aside from the BLUE which provides for the running/dash lights!

WIth everything cutting off it sounds like a bad ground. Not only do you need to check and clean the battery to frame ground, you also need to check and clean the Engine to frame grounding strap on the back of the engine.

Corrosion of the copper contacts isn't good! Your switch may still be bad?? AFTER you've checked and cleaned the grounds, you can jump the RED to the Yellow and Blue directly for a quick test, and if it'll start, then reconnect them to the switch, and if it doesn't work, then the switch is bad, replace it!
    T.C.
    PS, you might want to add your year/model to your profile. I saw that you have 2 bikes, your profile just says SPECIAL!?
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Okay, a stupid question I know, but where is the ground?

The corrosion was only a bit of green, and came off nice enough. probably the first time it has been opened since it was built.

And my Profile has been updated. Sorry, 'bout that.
      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Never mind, it is right there in your message.

Duh.

Comment

No ground at the switch. It is hot coming in, hot out when switched.

Originally posted by Pain
          Okay, a stupid question I know, but where is the ground?

The corrosion was only a bit of green, and came off nice enough. probably the first time it has been opened since it was built.

And my Profile has been updated. Sorry, 'bout that.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

All fixed, and put back together. Then I had to work and couldn't take it for a vicotry spin.

Still, thanks all for the help. I love this place.

Comment

Working...
            X