Clear All

• blued pipes

What can you do for blued pipes

Cheer them up the best you can .
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Mothers Mag and Aluminum

I used Mothers on my blued pipes it came right off and at 3.00 a can it a better value than bluing polish.

Comment

I leave them blue, I think of it as a badge of honor. I ride enough to blue my pipes if they weren't so rusty that they'd blue. ;o)

If you must remove the blue, go to your local bike shop and ask for some Blue-away.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I've read before that the blueing of the pipes happens because the engine is too lean, or, (in other words, the pipes are too hot). It's the same sort of thing that will happen if you put a pan on a stove with nothing in it: it'll turn iridescent. However, if you have a thicker pan, then you it'll be more resistant.

The tips that I heard to prevent this: 1) prevent the engine from running too lean (I think this makes it hotter overall), and 2) take off your pipes and carefully clean some of the carbon off the inside to the best of your ability. Then paint the inside of the pipes with some high temp paint. This will basically act as insulation which should keep them from blueing.

--Rider
          1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
          X