Idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle problems

Engine was runing beter than ever.Now I cannot get it to idle .It will not drop past 5000 rpm. I connecter my vaccum to number two carb and connect both petcock together. I adjusted the idle control no luck.

John, I had a similiar issue and mine turned out to be idle mixture. There are a number of things that seem to manifest with similiar symptoms. Here is a quote from TopCat back in 2004 about what to check for fast idle:

The Pilot screw settings, the carb synchronization, also checks for vacuum leaks, etc.! Also check to make sure the throttle plate isn't hanging up on one of the screws for the rubber mounts, the large Ring clamps, and make sure your throttle cable doesn't have any kinks in it, that there is enough free play in it, and that it isn't binding up thru it's travel!
    planedick out in Cali solved his by balancing the carbs.

Good luck! Be sure and post when you get it fixed so we can all learn.

-Risky
    1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Was running good, now won't idle?

Suggests that something is stuck in the throttle linkage / cable?

Or have you made any adjustments / changes that might have affected the idle?

Comment

I just had the same problem last week. During the middle of a long ride the idle started hanging high and soon would not drop below 4k. I could tell that the cable was not hanging up since there was a slight bit of slack when it was closed. So I grabbed the part of the throttle shaft that sticks out the side of the left hand carb and tuned it to close the throttle and the idle came right down. I could feel some resistance , but I could not see anything causing interference. As soon as I opened the throttle it would not close again unless I turned the shaft. I was stopped at a gas station, so I borrowed a can of WD40 and hosed down the shaft and springs on all the carbs and it freed up whatever was causing the resistance. The ride home was fine and now it's on my list of stuff I should look into further before it becomes a real problem, but why do it now while the riding is still good.
        Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Idle

I took the carbs off for the fifth time.I thought I had a stuck float and replaced it with a used one I had. The engine run fine then the rpm went to 5000. I have replaced the jets with 140s from 137sand went to a hotter plug. The intake boots I replaced with used ones. Could this be my problem the boots getting hot and leaking runing my rpms up .Help.

Comment

Re: Idle

Yes, yes, and yes...or is that yes and yes. You have a problem with bluing pipes and this could be related to leaking boots, among other things.

Originally posted by johnfrenchsr
            The intake boots I replaced with used ones. Could this be my problem the boots getting hot and leaking runing my rpms up .Help.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

idle

Check to make sure ur throttle linkage is not catching on the hose clamps holding ur carbs onto the boots mine did and it did the same thing............MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
              X