fork angles on xs 1100 trikes running original front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork angles on xs 1100 trikes running original front end

Hi! I have a XS1100 custom trike - rigid suspension at the rear running a propshaft from the shaft drive coupling at the gearbox through to a Ford Capri rear axle and differential. It would be fair to say the handling is 'lively' and unless you keep a firm grip on the handlebars when moving, you will get a 'tank slapper' that you won't forget in a hurry.. I have learned to live with the trike and tame the handling - but on occasions other people want a ride and it scares the life out of them. The obvious answer would be leading link forks, but my personal view is they are ugly and I want to keep the trike looking like an XS at the front end.

The wheels / tyres on the rear are 185/70/R13s. I am thinking of increasing these to 195/ 70 / R15s. This would raise the rear of the trike 1 inch and therefore alter the angle of the front forks to the road and additionally it would alter the gearing by about 9% (I think) - currently the trike accelerates very hard but the top gear cruise on the motorway (75 ish) generates about 6800 rpm, which I deem as too high for longer runs. Increasing the size will bring this down to about 6000 rpm.

Does anyone have direct experience of this problem, my proposed solution or first hand knowledge of the science of forks angles, etc?

I would prefer not to 'suck it and see' as the wheels and tyres are going to cost me about £500! So far I have achieved a reasonable compromise on the handling by reducing tyre pressures. Is a steering damper a viable option to tame the 'tank slapper' and if so, does anyone have expereince of where it is best mounted, best value type / make, etc.

Thanks

Simon.

hi,there is a chap in chorley who has a trike do you want me to put you in touch with him,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Yes please - thanks. I have had an e-mail from Stuart in Scotland - he also had a trike but has sold it on to a chap in London. His is the first I have seen that is similar to my own in overall design. I am trying to attach a photo of mine to my signature, but the technoogy of this defeats me sometimes!

Cheers

Simon.

Comment

hi have not spoken to stuart for a while hope he is ok,i will forward you the email address direct for the chap in chorley,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Got your e-mail - thanks. stuart is fine - he has moved onto streetfighters now, apparently!

Simon.

Comment

he should have turned his trike into a streetfighter that would have been a first,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Working...
            X