Battery Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charge

My battery died on me this morning which is not good. I started to notice the battery getting fatigued after my headlight unit and tachometer quit working about a week ago. Could these all be interrelated to a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. What other things would be worth checking? Thanks for the advice guys.

When you put a new battery in, put a voltmeter on it, start the bike. Notice the voltage at idle, then rev the motor up to 2500rpm, you should see the voltage rise. If you do, fine.

If not, you have other problems. Kirk Koehler went through this at the Big Island 2002 rally, found his rectifier/regulator was bad, his alternator field coil bad, and his reserve lighting unit as well

Good luck!
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

FYI cleats:

I just checked my battery on my 78E. At idle, 13.8 volts, at 2500 RPM 14.2 volts.

Marty
      78E
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

If you have not already done it (not mentioned in your post) start with the basics like checking the fluid level, battery cable connections, and fuses. Sometimes its the little things that cause the biggest problems...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

The tach runs off the rect/reg unit, you either have a bad one or a bad alternator (either the field or stator is bad). Time to get out the book and check these out, also check all connections.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

When you check & clean all the connections, don't forget to check BOTH ground straps. I had a similar problem as yours, but mine was intermittent. The guys here are very helpful. My problem turned out to be a bad reg/rec, but I know all my connections are clean! My tach has worked perfectly ever since & I have not had to kick-start once. Like they said...check the basic stuff first. It's cheaper that way.
            I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

On the last day for the BIDuece, I got on the freeway for home and noticed my tach was dead. I reached over the head light to see if it was on and it was. A minute later, my tach started working again.

Yesterday I went out for a ride and noticed my tach was not working again and my head light was off. I turned the bike on and off a couple of time with not change.

After what Kirk K. went through I figured I had last my charging system. As the bike sat idling (no head light or tach) I pulled the head light fuse and the tach came up. Reinstalled the fuse and the head light came on. Has bee working fine ever since.

I think my problem is in the reg/tec and is heat sensitive. The last time had something like this happen was in Yakima (105 deg F.).
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X