Pizzas and xs oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizzas and xs oil cooler

I am really wondering if with my xj I could solve not only my transport problems but even my cooking ones....!

Here in India where I live it is too hot for an air cooled xj.

Question !:

Has any boby of this august forum ever tryed to install an oil cooler of the xs on a xj ?

Please any info and experience will be very wellcome (quickly before I melt)- Thanks and Amen

Ps: I am not interested in cooking because for hamburger and hotdogs may be fine but for pizzas and lasagnes it is too impractical !

The 1981 XS 11H model came stock with an oil cooler that can be adapted to the XJ.

The cooler consists of 3 parts:
    Adapter plate that fits between the oil filter housing and crankcase.
    Radiator element and shroud.
    Oil lines that run between the adapter plate and radiator element.

The adapter plate is a bolt on unit. It should come with an extender bolt that does 2 things: hold the adapter plate in place by acting like the oil filter housing bolt, and provides the place to screw in the oil filter housing bolt when you replace the oil filter housing. Adapter plate is about 1/2 - 3/4 inches thick.

Radiator element and shroud bolt to existing holes in the XJ's frame, up under the steering head. If you are running a fairing you may need to drill holes in the fairing mounting bracket. Vetter fairing mounts appear to have the holes pre-drilled.

Rubber oil hoses run from the adapter plate to the radiator element. NOTE: the '81H had a couple extra tabs welded to the downtubes. These tabs were used as mounts for clamps used to clamp the oil cooler lines in place so they don't float around and strike the exhaust pipes. You WILL need to fabricate some type of clamping arrangement to hold the hoses in place, as they run up between the exhaust pipes.

Reliability note: Original hoses are now 20+ years old. I recommend replacing them with new hoses or getting stainless steel (SS) hoses fabricated. Do this for reliability.

There were other units, not Yamaha, that can be adapted to the XJ. Process is similar to fitting the Yamaha unit, with a couple twists. 1. You may need to drill holes in the oil filter housing for the hoses, or, 2. cut the external oil line (located under your carb bank) and use this as the oil line connection.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Lockhart Phillips

made one at one time. I have one on my 78 XS.
      They may still have a model to fit your bike. The cooler I have came with an adapter plate with two hose connection which mounts between the oil filter cup and the bottom of the engine.

Look around some one has a universal type.

Willz
      Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day!

Comment

Oil Cooler

Lockhart Phillips is still alive and well in Southern California. I recently purchased a thermostatic valve for my oil cooler. Bike warms up faster now, though I guess that wouldn't be a problem in India.

Ralph

Comment

Ebay sold me one of these. Contact LOCKHART PHILLIPS USA
          151 Calle Iglesia
          San Clemente, CA 92672

National: (800) 221-7291
          International: (949) 498-9090
          Fax: (949) 498-9492

info@lockhartphillipsusa.com
          [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

xj fit

I got one from this site.very nice.Couple small problems i'm coming into. 1 if you have a kerker 4-1 header the works doesn't fit without denting exhaust pipe.2 the oil lines do not fit proper between motor and lower engine mount. xj has a brace that runs between the engine mounts. so with the fixed oil lines that connect to the adaptor platedo not go in witout mods. hope this helps a little.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
            X