marginal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
    Geezer has been doing alot of this work, and has a working prototype already done. He's posted several messages about them in the Yahoo group list. You'll probably be able to ge glean more tech info from it knowing the techno-speak! You can review the messages on the web site thru a search. He's stated that he's going to charge about $90.00 for them, -$10 discount for YAHOO LIST members thru the end of the year! His is a completely built from scratch design IIRC!? Competition is good, but I get the impression that this and a few other projects he does IS his livlyhood!
    T.C.
    For a picture of my first prototype follow this link. http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...11reg-rec2.JPG

My original goal was a good replacement that wouldn't wear out. What I got was full charging at 1500 RPM and around 14 volts at 900 RMP idle. I need to get to the machine shop to get a little work done then I can start assembling them. One very noticeable difference is the amount of time between the engine firing and the lights coming on is much shorter.

The $10 off deal is for all XS11 club members. Just contact me by PM and set up the deal. I'm going to post a message here and on the Yahoo list when they're ready to go.

About 22 years ago when I owned a bike shop in SE Portland, I started making charging system parts but after the shop went down the tubes, I shelved it until a couple years ago when I started tinkering with them again. I took them name of my old shop and started a dot com business. It’s a small outfit but it’s now about ½ my income.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

If you are still speaking of the same casic type as the xs11 (only better), it makes no bit of difference which direction it rotates. It sends out alternating curent in three different phases, and the rectifier unit takes care of straightening out the current to the correct direction into DC.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
      (snip)However, aside from rigging/fabricating a mount for it close to the clutch cover and finding one small enough to not interfere with your foot placement, the engine rotates counterclockwise from the right side. IIRC, most American motors turn clockwise when looking at the front, and so the ALT's rotate clockwise as well!?

We'd have to find one that rotates CCW, or rig up some jackshaft adding even more weight, complexity to an already difficult design idea?!?
      T.C.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

ARRGH! I meant "basic" not "casic"

Originally posted by skids
        If you are still speaking of the same casic type SNIP
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You are correct skids. An Alternator makes electricity with "alternating current". It does not care what direction it turns. The fan on the pully is for cooling, and it would be the only problem. If you used a "short" GM internal reg, it should fit.
          just my $0.02
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've never been inside mine, and have only seen pictures so I beg everyones pardon if this is a stupid question, but can you rewind the alternator? I've made toy motors as a kid (no three phase of course) and I've rewound magneto coils for old outboards in addition to output transformers for tube amps. What I'm getting at is this: often times the result is better when done by hand vs. machine. If you wind up with (pun NOT intended) a "perfect lay" on the coils, you could probably squeeze in more than a few extra turns on the armature. Coat each layer with epoxy as you are doing it, I would think. My God, this XS thing is causing psychosis!
            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Follow Up: not sure of the benefit, if any of the hypothetical rewind? More turns, higher voltage I believe. Or the same amount of turns as stock using slightly larger gauge wire for more current? Somebody else chime in here, please.
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

There's room to add quite a few more turns to the field coil. An increase of 10 - 20% from the looks of it.

An increase in the field strength would give a corresponding increase in the output. Thought about experimenting with that over the winter.

Anyone tried it?

Comment

If I can pick one up on ebay cheap, I'll give it a shot when the weather goes bad.
                  2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                  X