where to buy headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy headlight

this is the first time i've need a headlight on the 78 xs11. my bike shop told me today that yamaha doesn't carry headlights any more.
    where do you folks buy them, and is there a halogen conversion available.....thanks in advance....bill g

Check out ratbyk's (Ken from Sooke) response in this thread
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I bought a halogen insert conversion kit on Ebay for like 20 bucks or something...uses H4 bulbs. Worked great!
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

MikesXS has this available:
        Rectangular 5 x 7" Headlight Assembly
        Rectangular 5 x 7" Headlight Assembly with halogen lamp - Black - Ideal for
        use when building street trackers. 9/16" Mount holes.

Part #09-0027 $34.00US EA.
        T.C.
        JCW in their MC catalog also sells Halogen conversions for 4x6 and 6x8 rectangular lights, I don't know what size yours is, I only have Specials!

Old Bike Barn has this Complete Yamaha Replacment, a bit more pricey!!

Yamaha Rectangular Headlamp
        547 | Category: Lighting | Part: Headlights | OBB Part #: 09-0058
        Description:
        Rectangular Headlamp. 7" 12v lamp. Replaces Rim, Retainer, Lens, Bulb, and Bucket. Lens approx, 4 1/2" x 6 1/2". Bucket 7 3/4" wide at mounts includes rubbers for mounts. OEM#: 10W-84330-00

$64.95
        Applications: Yamaha Late Type

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Headlight woes

I had the same problem, my suggestion is to hunt ebay for the headlight that fits a 79F it takes a regular headlight bulb, H4 type. It will mount right up and be allot brighter than the sealed beam. By using this bulb your head light ears will fit to it or it can be mounted in a fairing like mine is.
          There's always a way, figure it out.
          78XS11E

Comment

Hey Bgiff,

Just posted on Ebay:
            NOS Standard Headlight case/lens

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Here's another on for the 79 H4 replacable bulb type 4571410074
              78XS11E

Comment

thanks everyone for your help

Comment

I bought a halogen insert conversion kit on Ebay for like 20 bucks or something...uses H4 bulbs. Worked great!
                  Hey JW,

That H4 conversion kit - is it new or used? The manufacturer? Any more info would be appreciated.

I also have an SG and, while the headlight is OK now, I'd like to plan ahead and convert to H4, just in case.

Thanks

Rick
                  Rick
                  '80 SG
                  '88 FXR
                  '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

DUH! I should have checked first! I looked, and my SG already has a Phillips H4 bulb.

That being the case, what does your "conversion kit" do? Or, does your SG hve a different headlight?

Puzzled.
                    Rick
                    '80 SG
                    '88 FXR
                    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Both JC Whitney and Mikes XS have cheap Halogen conversions if you need lense and reflector but my Special has an H4 halogen as original equipment. Why buy on Ebay for more money? I'd go with Mikes XS since he ships immediately and you'll have it the second day following, even completely across the continent...JC Whitney takes forever! Mike also has replacement H4 bulbs cheap. www.mikesxs.com
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

If you look in the paper catalog from Mikes XS, IIRC it says something to the effect that there is not enough room in it for all the wires for our bikes. Part #09-0027 $34.00US EA.

I may be wrong, I'm going from memory & I'm getting old.
                        78XS11E

Comment

You are correct sir, but I was speaking of the headlamp itself, not the SHELL. For shells you're at the mercy of the wreckers, ebay, Yamarobber (if they have any) etc. Come to think of it the headlamp shell on my XS11SF looks to be the same as the ones on my XS650s and there is a guy down in Alabama named Tommy Pollard who sells used parts for 650s (and probably other bikes as well), I'll look for his phone # and email and post it later. He's a good guy and on the up and up.
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Mine is a '80 special, so it uses the round headlights.

there is another there for sale, item #4571740424

It was new in the box, worked great.

Can't seem to make a working link to the page directly....

I picked up a NOS headlight bucket on Ebay as well. Got it for 25 bucks! Was shiney and new, not even a tiny bit of rust. Very happy with that purchace. New ones seem to be rare on Ebay.
                            Last edited by JWSanders; 08-30-2005, 05:31 AM.
                            80 XS1100SG
                            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hey there FXRER,

With the Specials, we're lucky in that standard 7" round headlights will fit inside the mounting hardware. Some conversion kits have more clear front lenses, not so many "FRESNEL" prisms cut into the front lens. The reflector has the angles cut into it. I got mine from JCW....Pilot Brand. They sell them in pairs....for cars. The plain ones are like $35.00, but I got the special colored accent ringed ones , Green, just to add a little BLING but paid twice as much!!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                              X