Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ordered my Max exhaust-but now may not fit with oil cooler ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered my Max exhaust-but now may not fit with oil cooler ?

I ordered a mac 4-2 for my 81 XS1100.
    I was proud I beat the asking prices of the ebay vendors when I read one cfomment that froze me in my tracks.
    It read will not fit with factory oil cooler.

I have an oil cooler. DOnt they all ?
    What are my options.
    Please dont state the obvious--send them back or take off the oil cooler.
    steve

never met a bike i didnt like.

just build a new mounting bracket for the cooler....

otherwise...

you could mail me the exhaust system and I will take it off your hands for you...lmao
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

did you do that ?

Have you done that ?

Mounted a mac exhaust system with the oil cooler ?
      steve

Comment

Hey Steve,

Looking at this picture, it's hard to see WHY it won't work?

Not sure if it's due to the tight placement of pipes near frame near the bottom so that there might not be enough room for the oil lines to run up between the pipes and frame? Reviewing some pictures of Rick Jamison's 81H with coolers, the inner pipe seems to be mounted a bit lower than the outer pipe for each pair down near the oil filter/cooler area, perhaps allowing more room for the coolng lines??

Or the pipes may be so close to the outlets from the adapter plate that they would hit those pipes at the adapter, or again not allow enough room for the cooling line fittings that stick out from the adapter??
        Good Luck? T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Part of the problem might be because the adaptor makes the filter cover sit a good inch lower. Depending on the design of the pipes, there may just be no room under there. JAT....
          Ken Talbot

Comment

The filter is fine with them on my 81 H. There are two issues, one is that the lines actually touch the pipes when mounted stock. And the pipes will melt the lines.

I took my stock oil line brackets off as sksxs1100 mentioned then used black barlock security ties to hold the lines against the frame. I also had to very-very carefully bend the oil feed pipes in a little to keep them from touching the pipes.

So far with about 3,000 miles on them I've had no problems. The pipes do blue at the manifold since they don't have a inner lining like the Yamaha ones do.
            Don
            99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Helpful reply.

thanks Don-
              I will try what you did.
              steve

Comment

I have a Lockhart oil cooler on my E. It has rubber hoses going from adapter to the cooler. I have them run up the downtubes of the frame. They pass within ½" of the header pipes. I was very nervous about this. 3 years later there's no sign of heat-related problems.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have the lockhart and all I did was zip tie the two hoses together. They run straight down between the #2&3 header pipes. No problems so far.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

(adding to my earlier reply)

My E has the Jardine headers and they cross in front. Lockhart instructions call for set-up between 2 & 3 but wouldn't work that way.
                    I'll be adding an OEM XS850 cooler to my LG and it has steel tubes running up the frame downtubes. I saw another post where another member tried using the 850 cooler and had problems. We'll see what happens.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat

I ran a cooler from an xs850 for years, but it is not a bolt on part. If I remember right, the steel lines coming from the adaptor, will hit on the frame crosstube between the down tubes. I had to cut the steel lines about one inch from the plate, and about one inch from the large crimp fittings, and with a torch and brazing rod I made some 'hose barbs' around the end of the cut tubes. That prevented the hoses from blowing off...again Then I bolted the ends of the tubes on the adaptor so that they pointed down, and then I could use some 1/2 inch ID cloth braided hydraulic hose, and then I could route the hoses anywhere I wanted it. I brought them up on the inside edge of the down tube, until I got clear of the pipes. I used tie wraps to secure the hoses to the frame. The cooler itself will not bolt up to the frame, but tie wraps work well here too.

Comment

NO Instructions. Need more tips on mac exhaust.

I have them attached to the jugs..thanks to the advise I got here on bending the oil lines and removing 4 line brackets...

1) there is 2 muffler brackets that seem too short - i guess i may have to get longer ones. comments welcome for those that have installed these.

2) there is am L shaped bracket. I am guessing it is to hod the side kick stand from resting on the muffler ? but it isnt clear how to me.

3) the mufflers leak at the connecting part to the pipes. I am not impressed with the fitting. real loose - even when i ream on the little sae bolts and nuts - i can still spin the mufffler on the exhaust pipe.

Thanks ya'll for the previous responces.
                        steve

Comment

The L bracket should be for the centerstand to keep it from hitting the muffler. Atleast it is that way for my 4-1.

I also don't know why the bracket is so loose on the muffer. Mine is kind of loose too. Make sure the bolt that holds the muffler to the frame is on good and tight. I lost the muffler once that way.
                          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

center stand ?

thats interesting.

i have not taken it off the street stand yet. I wonter if that'll it my new system too.

mac should have thought this thru. I cant imagine having the side stand bouncing off the new mac.
                            steve

Comment

mac installation 4-2

almost done.
                              tips for the poor slobs like me that try and install this on a XS1100 with oil cooler.

disconnect the lines at the top by the oil cooler before you start. cause you will have to in the end anyways. otherwise they will burn up next to the exhaust.

If you get no directions in your Max Exhaust box like me..turns out the "L" shaped bracket can stop the center stand from hitting the chrome muffler when installed on the left side of bike.

IF anyone knows how to stop the side stand from hitting the Brand new muffler, I'd like to know.

- Not sure if my relocated twisted oil lines are moving as much oil thru them.

Maybe the 4-1 would have been easier.
                              steve

Comment

Working...
                              X